Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Nov 17, 2007, 08:54 PM
    Diet Pills
    I need some advice and information on diet pills...

I have started a low calorie diet with regular exercise.

Are there any diet pills that ACTUALLY work, that would help this process speed up? :rolleyes:

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2007, 09:10 PM
    Gee if that pic is you you look skinnier than me. You need to lose 5 lbs??

What I have tried are the Dexatrim natural
    Or amino acids that increase metabolism
    And whatever I try I take 600 mg of chromium picolinate.
    Also eat breakfast and eat about 4 to 6 smaller meals a day instead of 2 or 3 bigger ones,
    Eat lots of fruit and vegetables and fiber like whole wheat and oatmeal
    I have been eating healthier the past three weeks and taking the chromium and lost about 6 pounds.
    Vision Expert

Nov 17, 2007, 09:15 PM
    That was last summer... I've gained thirty pounds since then... I need to lose a grand total f fifty pounds.

I will try that chromium thing...
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 17, 2007, 09:25 PM
    Diet pills can really be bad for you, especially over-the-counter. Many of them contain drugs that speed up your heart rate, attack your kidneys and liver. The safest diet is one that is health and includes healthy diet and exercise.

Many times spreading your meals throughout the day is best. Instead of 3 healthy meals, smaller portions 5 or 6 times a day. Keep you belly full. You see, most of us gorge 3 times a day because we are so hungry. But if we keep our tummies full all day long we tend not to eat as much and then lose weight.

Healthy snacks in between meals keeps you full enough not to eat as much at each sitting. I recently lost 3 pounds just by snacking on pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pistachio's in between my meals.

While diet pills may work, it is a short term fix. Learning a healthy approach to weight management is a long term approach. Many women who use diet pills lose, oh, let's say 10 pounds... then they are happy, pretty, etc... go back to their normal diet and GAIN 20 pounds.

You started a Low Cal diet! That's wonderful!! Learn to read labels.. Many diet foods hide their ingredients in words we cannot understand. Many have increased sodium (salt).. bad for the heart and blood pressure.

From looking at your picture you are a beautiful woman and, from what I see, you don't need to lose an ounce.

Take the healthy approach, healthy diet and exercise, not pills.
    Vision Expert

Nov 18, 2007, 01:04 AM
    Ew, I HATEEEE Grapefruit...
    Vision Expert

Nov 18, 2007, 01:06 AM
    Thanks J_9... LIke I told someone else that is an older picture, it was this past Christmas... so I have gained thirty pounds since then... now having a total of fifty to lose... UGH!

I'm actually going to the doctor on January 2nd, as my insurance kicks in on the 1st! :P

I will ask what vitamins and or diet pills are acceptable to take.
    Vision Expert

Nov 18, 2007, 01:07 AM
    Oh and J-9, for some reason, when you post a post on something that I have subscribed to I don't get an email notice... I was wondering if you had blocked me or something, or if it's a glitch...
    Expert

Nov 18, 2007, 08:49 AM
    It must be a glitch, as a supermoderator I can't block anyone, nor can anyone block me.

If you are going to the doctor, there is a med that is prescribed called Phenteremine. I know of quite a few people who have used it, however, (just a little side note if you get it), only one person has actually lost a considerable amount of weight, 80 pounds to be exact. But she also still did exercise and watched her diet.

Remember diet pills are not a magic fix all.
    Vision Expert

Nov 18, 2007, 03:56 PM
    I know that they are not a magic fix, I AM on a diet and regularly exercising. Thanks for the advice.
    Expert

Nov 18, 2007, 04:34 PM
    I know a guy that lost 65 pounds by drinking nothing but water. Now, don't get me wrong, he did eat, he didn't change his diet at all, except for what he drank.
    Vision Expert

Nov 18, 2007, 04:36 PM
    REALLY?? So, he just replaced all beverages with water? Was he overweight and drinking a lot of sugary juices and soda?
    Expert

Nov 18, 2007, 04:40 PM
    Yeah, girl, I kid you NOT!! He was drinking a lot of iced tea, soda and beer. Cut it all out, everything, and just drank water. He's lookin' pretty good now actually!! I didn't even recognize him when I saw him last. LOL

I asked what he did and that's what he told me. Didn't change a thing about his eating habits, just the water.

He was overweight by about 40 pounds.
    Vision Expert

Nov 18, 2007, 04:43 PM
    I'm overweight by about fifty, and I really don't understand why because my diet has never been bad. I was consuming about 1600 calories per day. I cut out a snack and was at 1200 per day (now). And I don't drink soda... I drink water and diet snapple.
    Expert

Nov 18, 2007, 04:47 PM
    Oh, diet stuff (drinks) can be just as bad for you as the regular stuff believe it or not. They put in additives to make it taste better.

1200 is good, stick with that.

Are you exercising?

I know you are going to the doctor, what next week? Have you had a recent physical? Could there be another explanation for the weight gain?
    Vision Expert

Nov 18, 2007, 04:51 PM
    I'm going to the doctor January 2. And yes, I am doing 10 miles on the old exercise bike a 100 reps per arm with a ten lb free weight...

I try to stick with a little more mundane exercise activities due to a bad back. Could this be a reason for weight gain?
    Expert

Nov 18, 2007, 05:53 PM
    Remember that muscle weighs more than fat.

Also, as I said above and was mentioned in a comment, cut out the diet drinks. They are full of apsertame and that is very dangerous to your system.

No diet foods at the grocery either, "diet" foods add sodium, that makes you gain water weight, they have sugars hidden in them... What says low fat or diet, may be, but you have to consider what they put in them to make them taste good.

Fresh fruits, fresh veggies, high fiber foods... that's what's best for you.
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2007, 05:57 PM
    Aspartame Truth Information Site

Also try not to use the microwave
    Microwave ovens destroy the nutritional value of your food
    Vision Expert

Nov 18, 2007, 05:59 PM
    It's not my weight that an issue, it's the amount of fat that is affecting the weight. I am aware that muscle weighs more than fat. If I weighed 170 pounds of muscle I wouldn't mind, but 170 of fat, is bad.
    Expert

Nov 18, 2007, 06:05 PM
    Ah, but this is a common misconception, you see people who exercise regularly think that it is not working when they are not losing weight, when in all actuality they are losing inches, not necessarily pounds. The reason I mentioned that is that the fat may be going off you slowly with proper diet and exercise, but you may not notice it when you step on the scale. You notice it more when you measure yourself.
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2007, 06:10 PM
    I think she is saying by looking in the mirror, but you are right and it does take time sometimes. I have worked hard to lose weight and thought I wasn't and then I swear I lost the pounds months later for my hard work months before. And I believe it about the guy losing weight by drinking lots of water. I wish I could drink water but I have to add lots of lemon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Diet pills [ 1 Answers ]

Are diet pills safe? I don't no if it comes under this subject but I need to find out for a study I am doing on it , so are they?? :D

Diet Pills [ 1 Answers ]

I had my beautifull daughter about 10 months ago and I work out everyday and diet as well... I've tried everything so I was thinking about using a diet pill any suggestions??

Adricted to diet pills and over the counter pills [ 5 Answers ]

:o I have for the past 4 years been adicted to dietr pills and over the counter pills I even take more then I need toi have tried to stop before but just couldn't stop. I want to stop and I want to get better but I don't know how I can stop with out help but I don't want to sign myself into a...

Diet pills [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I'm 26 And Weigh About 163 And I'm 5'6. I Working Toward Losing 20 Pounds. So Does Any One Know Of A Diet Supplement That May Be Helpful That Really Works. I Also Watch What I Eat And Exercise.

Diet pills [ 3 Answers ]

I want to loose some weight. I was two sides smiler than I am rigth now. I am not overweight really but ia want to have my body like it was before. I would like to try with diet pills, but I am scared of side effects. I just wondering if just taking those pills for a while,...

View more questions Search