Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sioux Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2007, 04:08 PM
    Contract for deed default
    We have a family who bought our home contract for deed with a 10% down payment. They are $900.00--for 3 months in the rear on payments, although they paid partial of what is due each month I find them in default. If they do not cure the contract in 2 weeks and pay what is due, we are sending a termination of the contract and telling them they are in default.
    My question is, do we keep the down payment they gave us up front?
    K_2 Posts: 92, Reputation: 5

Nov 17, 2007, 04:50 PM
    Generally yes. I guess it would depend on how you wrote the contract. We are purchasing on a contract for deed and it says that if we default that the down payment and any payments will be retained by the sellers as reasonable rent during the occupied time.

But even if it isn't in contract, I'd assume you would. If you don't make your mortgage payments and bank forecloses you don't get down payment back. If you finance anything and default, you don't get down payment back. Not sure that this would be any different.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 17, 2007, 06:19 PM
    What does your contract say about it, your contract should say specificly what a default is, what penalty there is, when and what cancells the contracta and what happens to the money,

The money is not a deposit and if they fail to buy the home, normally it is yours to keep.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Contract for Deed [ 1 Answers ]

Under a Contract for Deed is the deed owner responsible for repairs while the house is being paid off.

Land contract default by seller? [ 3 Answers ]

I am currently 3 years and 2 months into a 10 year land contract. The sellers contacted me last week and said they are getting divorced and want me to get a mortgage in my own name or they are going to put the house up for sale. I have paid $20,000 of $65,000. Is this legal for them to do?

Quit Claim Deed/Contract for Deed [ 7 Answers ]

Ok, I have posted before. I had a contract for deed piece of property, and have myself been going back and forth with a lawyer and the client. Trying to make a offer to end this nightmare. I offered them 1000.00 in 10 payments and at the end of that to sign a quitclaim deed or 500.00 and...

Default on a contract for deed [ 1 Answers ]

We signed a contract for deed on a business 11 months ago. The seller I guess has some prospective "buyer's" to buy him out. We now want out of the contract being that he his trying to sell the property. We don't want to deal with a "New" Seller if he sells. We "bought" out the pervious person who...

Collecting on a Default Note, 2nd Deed [ 1 Answers ]

How do I collect on a default 2nd Deed note that was due, pay in full plus interest, September 2006? I need to manipulate this situation to get the owner to fulfill his end of the bargain. This was a Bridge Loan for 90 days, secured by a 2nd Deed and comes with additional late fees. We are...

View more questions Search