Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thuffner3 Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2007, 02:56 PM
    4 way light switch configurations.
    Hello all.
    I have a three switch, one light configuration where;
    1. power enters first box.
    2. from first box 3-wire to ceiling light box.
    3. from ceiling light box, 3-wire to either side of the room.
    Can I wire this correctly.
    The Ceiling light box will carry a ceiling fan/light.
    I also have a 2-wire from first box to ceiling box, but I wanted to use this for the light option on the fan.
    I have no access from above. I can drop wire from switches to the basement if need be.

Can you help?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2007, 03:46 PM
    One way you could do it is: Wire the 2 3 conductors together. They can be Your 2 travellers for the 3 way, the 3rd conductor going through fan box has to be undone and will be the switchleg to power the light. Then at the box with power, connect the same 2
    Travellers to this 3 way, and power to this 3 way common also. The conductor that is left over, will be for the fan.
    Good Luck

Nov 17, 2007, 05:02 PM
    OK, I give. I'm sorry it has been a very long day.
    I've looked over several configuration diagrams and none show my configuration.
    Got a diagram of what you have in mind? It would surely help me at this point?

Thanks a bunch.
    Neil
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2007, 06:04 PM
    Wish I could do with pictures, will try.
    At the box with power, connect the grounds, and tuck in box, connect the power source neutral to the 2 conductor white, wirenut and tuck in box, now take the red and black of the 3 conductor and connect to the 2 silver screws on this first 3 way. Connect the hot to
    The comon screw, brass or black(darker).
    Go to the other switch, connect the red and black to the 2 silver(white)screws. Identify white wire with tape(this is your switched leg) and connect to the dark screw.
    At the fan box, the 2 3 conductors need to have the red and black tied to each other(these are the travelers. The white wire at the fan box that goes to second switch needs black tape, and is switched leg, this is the power for the light. The neutral will be the white of the 2 conductor, the Future fan will be the black of the 2 conductor.
    Good Luck. You have the wires, you will get it.

Nov 17, 2007, 06:58 PM
    Well that sounds more like something I can sink my teeth into. I will draw this out and see what I can make of it tomorrow morning.
    Thanks a bunch.
    I've never wired a four way before. I was using my old tried and true method of making sure I had three wires to each of the box's. For three way switches the power can come in anywhere then.
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2007, 08:03 PM
    2 switches, switching something from 2 locations use 2 3 way switches(3 screw terminals).
    Like the top and the bottom of stairs.
    If you had 3,4,5 or morelandings, and a switch at each floor, you would use only 4 ways between the 2 3 ways.
    Three way switches have 2 same colored screws, they are for travellers(2 wires that go to other switch traveler connections(2 silver screws))
    One 3 way switch will be the "HOT End" It has constant 120 volts to dark screw.
    Other 3 way will be "Switched End" and that dark screw goes to light HOT.

Nov 17, 2007, 09:20 PM
    I understand how and why they work, and have looked over what one site said were 1 of only eight possible configurations. Mine did not match a one. And after looking them all over I began to get bug eyed. Anyway I were to look at the other sites diagrams, I needed three in and three out of any one switch box to make it work. I'll look the above explanation over in the morning.
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2007, 07:21 AM
    It will work like above, you will have 1 conductor left over(The white that is with the red and black, that goes from the first switch box to the light/fan location).

Nov 18, 2007, 11:51 AM
    I tried to get this in some form of picture. It seems the above way leaves out one of the switches. I'm still confused Stratmando[IMG][img=http://img3.imagebanana.com/img/c9wlsb7z/thumb/wirelayout.jpg][/IMG]

Nov 18, 2007, 11:52 AM
    Please disregard the image hosting site, it was the only photo hosting site I could find.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2007, 12:02 PM
    I deleted the image as the hosting site had adult content.

You can attach an image by using the tools provided with Advanced option.

Nov 18, 2007, 12:24 PM
    I tried another approach to the image thing.
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2007, 12:26 PM
    Yes, I see that, much better, thanks.

Your sketch is worth a thousand words.

I will pencil sketch out a wiring diagram soon.

So what do you want the 3 way 4 way switches to control? The fan or the light?

Nov 18, 2007, 12:29 PM
    Name:  wirelayout.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  21.8 KB
    How's this?
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2007, 12:30 PM
    Outstanding.

I need to know how the fan and light will be controlled.

Nov 18, 2007, 12:47 PM
    Well Russel, At this point, any darned way I can.
    The 4way box at the bottom of the picture is where I originally intended my central location to be. The 2 wire from this box the fan/light box was going to be the power for the separate switch for the fan light. So in looking at this there really should be a single switch and a 3 or 4 way switch in the bottom box. As it is I don't have switches in any of the box's, just loose wire. So I guess I'm free to place whatever where.

Bottom box, Double gang, Power feed to 1 single switch?? For light in fan.
    Power feed to what is needed 3 or 4 way?
    From this box go a 2-wire and 3-wire up to fan/light box.

Right box, double gang, power to 1 single switch controlling lightings elsewhere.
    3 wire for 3 or 4 way. From light box coming from fan/light box.

Left box,single gang, 3 wire from coming from light box for 3 or 4 way.

Now everything is all boarded in and finished. My only options would be to attack any of the box's from below. This is doable. Unfortunately I may be left with extra wires in the box's

Thank you guys for all the input. I believe this can work.
    Peace
    Neil
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2007, 01:14 PM
    OK I see now. You have a mess on your hands.

With what you have now, all you can do is set up 3 switches for the light, or fan, not both.

A 3 wire cable needs to be run from the left 3 way to the 4 way, and a 3 wire cable needs to run from the right 3 way back the 4 way.

A four wire switch needs two wires in and two wires out. Cannot feed a 4 way switch directly, the feed must go to the common on a 3 way switch.

I cannot see how to get this to work with the way the cables to boxes are arranged, without re-wiring as I mentioned.

Maybe someone else can see something I am missing.

Nov 18, 2007, 02:37 PM
    As I said before, I can make a loop through the basement if I have to?
    Thanks
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2007, 04:04 PM
    I see no other choice.

Nov 18, 2007, 06:24 PM
    Hi Russel,
    Can I make this work if I make a drop through the basement, from one of the switchs to one of the others? You know the dog gone fan unit is one of those new fangled remote types. The guy told me I didn't need to do all the extra wiring. I insisted I had the wire already in place. That the remote was worthless for my needs, and I believe it to still be worthless as it's just another piece of crap to get lost need batteries etc. Well if you can still pencil a diagram of what I need it would surely help. I'll make the new drops tomorrow.

Thanks again for your serious input.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Light switch issue, Light stays on! [ 8 Answers ]

Im having a problem with a light switch... the light stays on regardless of the position of the switch. I have swaped the switch out with a new one and still have the same problem. The switch controls to recessed lights over a fireplace. In the box on the wall there are several wires: 2 white...

Change Pilot Light Switch with a Single-way Switch [ 1 Answers ]

It's worth noted that I am a complete novice, so please be patient with me. I want to replace an existing pilot light switch with a single-way lighted switch. The existing setup has four terminals (red wire, black wire, white wire, and ground wire). The red wire goes to the left, the black wire...

Wiring ceiling fan switch and light switch [ 1 Answers ]

I had to replace the flywheel on my Hunter ceiling fan and I had to remove the light kit that was attached. After I installed the flywheel, I forgot to mark the wires for re-connection. This is an older model fan. There are five wires coming from the fan motor--brown, blue, white, black and...

Light switch hot then light went off [ 1 Answers ]

We have a standard ugly fluorescent overhead fixture in the kitchen. This morning the light just went off. I went to see if the bulb had burned out and the light switch itself was hot. What could cause this? I had not noticed the switch ever getting hot before. It wasn't really super hot but...

One Switch two lights - the second light furthest away from light won't turn off [ 4 Answers ]

One Switch two lights - the second light furthest away from light won't turn off but the first one does Worked until I swopped the roses. Suspect that didn't do something right when putting them back. Up to now - left bulb out but need to get it to work now.

View more questions Search