Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kellogg_2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2007, 10:24 AM
    How do I install a new cable outlet from an existing cable outlet
    I have cable and want to install a new cable box on another wall? How do I fish the cable to the new location and how do I install the new cable box outlet?
    ksduster Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2007, 12:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kellogg_2
    I have cable and want to install a new cable box on another wall? How do I fish the cable to the new location and how do I install the new cable box outlet?
    It depends where the box is. If you can get to it from the attic or bsmt. If the existing box is in the wall and you can go up or down you can break out the existing box and install a metal frame for low voltage (home depot) that takes the place of the existing box. It is a frame with fold around ears to hold it in the wall. If you can go through the floor(inside the wall) is the shortest and a small furnace chain works the best to find the hole you drill in the floor or attic inline with the cable box. The best size hole is 3/4" min. Tie your new cable to the chain and pull to or from theexisting hole. You may find the old cable and tape a chain to it and pull up or down then tape the new and old and pull back. Make sure it is secured good (without the ends on the cable, cut off and replace when complete) Don
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2007, 04:11 PM
    Figure on running cable from easiest, may be a Jack, or from where cable comes in. The cable an be cut anywhere(Inside and accessible is preferred. Connect in to in and the outs to go to the TV's.. If you are connecting to where a 2 way splitter is, identify input, connect to 3 way input, then look at splitter. Some 3 Way's have 7.5, 7.5, and 3.5 on the outputs, use the 3.5 db loss for your longest run, or a run that has to go to another splitter.
    Fishing wires can be interesting, there also cats(fire blocks) usually around 48 inches.
    If you have recessed cans, remove and they may help get wires around.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting DVD/VCR to TV with cable but no cable box [ 6 Answers ]

Hi all! I'm trying to help my folks connect their Samsung DVD-V6700 (DVD/VCR combo) player to their Toshiba TV, model number 27AF45. They have cable TV, but no cable box. The coaxial cable is supposed to connect directly to the TV. How do I hook up the DVD/VCR player so both DVDs and VHS tapes...

Wall mount for cable, how do I prepare for cable line? [ 3 Answers ]

I want to move my T.V. across the room, I have a wall mount with the wire there. What do I do to the wire that is not cable prepared to look like the one that is now being used? I need step by step instructions. If anyone can help me please!! :confused: Signed single mom trying to save a few...

Installing outlet from existing wall switch [ 12 Answers ]

I have a switch that controls an outside light. It is at the end of the run. I want to run an outlet inside the garage from that switch. I want the outlet to only have power when the switch is on. There are two black wires attached to the switch and the two white wires are connected with a wire nut...

Install a 20 amp outlet [ 10 Answers ]

I have a box at outside back of my house that was originally installed in case a hot tub was ever put out there. The box has a large white wire a large black wire and a ground wire going to it then a place for two RK5 fuses they come from main junction box with a 50 AMP breaker switch.Do I simply...

Running video cable through an existing wall [ 6 Answers ]

2 questions: 1. I want to feed video cable into a wall so I can service several rooms through the attic. Is there any trick to getting the cable from the room, through a small hole, up through the insulation and out through a relatively small hole in the attic, or am I dreaming? 2. with new...

View more questions Search