Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Josskacer Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2007, 10:18 AM
    Old credit card debt
    Hi, I was really stupid about six years ago and ran up some really astronomical credit card bills. Around 10k. I haven't heard from the company in years, but recently got a letter from some lawyer in New York offering me a settlement for 4k. What should I do? Ignore the letter? Respond? Can they still come after me? What's should I do??
    silentrascal Posts: 194, Reputation: -2
    -

Nov 17, 2007, 10:25 AM
    Well, you clearly still owe them money and if they're willing to settle things for less money than you actually owe them, I say go for it. What you do is find a finance company willing to give you a personal loan for the 4K (or whatever it comes down to) with a reasonable rate of interest on the loan. Then you pay off that credit card debt and focus on paying off the loan (and try to send in over-and-above what your monthly loan payment will be.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2007, 07:50 AM
    Dispute the debt, if you don't it is consider valid. This must be done within 30 days o the notice send to you.

Ask for validication of the alleged Debt in writing, and never speak to them on the phone.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is credit card debt open account debt or a written agreement debt? [ 16 Answers ]

I am currently fighting a credit card debt action filed against me by Unifund. The issue is whether credit card debt is open account debt subject to 3 year SOL in the State of Washington or a written agreement debt subject to 6 years. I asked the same question on another forum and received an...

FICO Credit Score: Maintain a 50% debt to credit-limit ratio on _each_ card? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been advised that I should transfer part of a balance of one credit card to another card in order to maintain 50% debt to credit limit ratio on _each_ card even though my _total_ debt to credit limit ratio is already below 50%. (Most of the debt is on one card for convenience.) I could...

Old Credit Card Debt [ 11 Answers ]

Hello. My husband and I were recently contacted by a collection agency that said they had purchased an old credit card debt of his from an account that was open in 1996 and has had no payment since 1999. The debt is for $500. I am not sure where to go from here. 1. How do I verify that this is...

Credit Card Debt [ 2 Answers ]

Well first I'll start by saying I love on Tx. I got a call today about a sears visa card I used to have . I made payments on it, but then got pregnant and quit working. Now they want payment and I don't work and don't own anything what so ever my partner is supporting me at the moment and we cannot...

View more questions Search