Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    biglou250 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2007, 09:10 AM
    14HP OHV I/C Briggs & Stratton Problems.
    I purchased this motor used around July of 07. I believe it came off a Murray riding lawnmower. It ran fine for the first three months (occasional smoking) or so then after a 2 week break of cutting it was hard starting. Took about 2-3 minutes but it started, a little smoke at start up, I made a mental note to clean the carb and plug. About a week after that it would not start and I noticed oil in the carb, literally all over the bottom of the filter. I thought maybe a good cleaning would fix it up.

Cleaned the carb, then tried to start it and got a fountain of oil and gas shoot straight up out of the carb through the oil breather hose. Drained the oil and it was like water because it was so diluted with gasoline. This is where I am at now. Usually I can figure these things out but this one has me stumped. Any help or advice is much appreciated. :D

Nov 19, 2007, 04:38 AM
    Anybody want to take a stab at it?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2007, 05:58 AM
    Did you replace or clean the oil breather? Dilluton of the oil and oil in the air cleaner are classic symptoms.

Nov 19, 2007, 08:10 AM
    Yes I have cleaned the oil breather. Sprayed it pretty good with carb cleaner. What would the cause be for gas & oil to shoot from the oil breather?

Sorry if the first post was too vague a description but I didn't know it was a common problem, at least not to this extent.
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2007, 01:11 PM
    Then there is only a few other causes: Valves, rings and/or timing. In order for oil to get into the carb, the rings or valves would have to allow that to happen. The standard car test for rings and valves is to take a compression reading and then take one again (after squiring oil into the plug hole) and see if the compression improves. If it does, it's rings. If it doesn't, it's valves. Since the engine ran, it not likely timing.

If the valves were not seating and the would either bring gas into the crankcase or oil into the cylinder head. I doubt the rings alone could cause that.

The compression release, if the engine has one, makes things a little difficult. You have to spin the engine backwards to test compression.

EDIT: The add oil part

Nov 20, 2007, 04:40 AM
    All right, I'll have to test the compression then. Thanks so much.
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2007, 12:28 PM
    See the edit about adding oil in the plug hole. That was important info I left out. Sorry.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 20, 2007, 01:03 PM
    Here is what I think happened to you. Your float and needle valve were starting to not seal 100% while the machine was sitting idle, that caused the white smoke. The needle failed further and gas kept dripping into the cylinedr head for two weeks eventually filling the crank case. In some cases like this the crank will fill to the point that the engine can't be turned over. You need to flush the crank with clean oil but first check the float and needle valve. I think you will find that the float, needle or seat have failed, esay fix.
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2007, 01:28 PM
    Bb:

Not a bad idea. His definition of "cleaned the carb" might be off. Your solution does require a disassemble and clean plus check for a rusty fuel tank.

Nov 20, 2007, 01:36 PM
    I have a 2600 psi power washer that does the same thing and I have not located a carb repair kit for the Kohler engine. Got a source? I have to shut off the fuel valve after each use.
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2007, 03:09 PM
    Bb:

Lot's of lawn mower sites use this for reference to look up part numbers. They do lisy Kohler Engines.

http://www.jackssmallengines.net/parts.asp

Nov 20, 2007, 05:49 PM
    I added that one to my favorites. Thanks,
    KISS
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2007, 06:44 AM
    Ball could be correct, or the breather assembly could simply be bad.
    prbarry1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2012, 10:36 AM
    Excess Gas = Black smoke

Excess Oil = White Smoke
    light99 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2013, 07:20 PM
    I have a 26 hp Briggs it's sucking oil into the carb I replaced the breather vent and it did not help, what else can I look for
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2013, 07:49 PM
    Check the o-ring on the bottom of the oil fill tube.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Briggs & Stratton 14.5 HP OHV No Compression [ 3 Answers ]

My Riding mower has an 8 year old Briggs & Stratton 14.5 HP OHV Engine. Engine always maintained properly and has run well. While mowing, engine ran well for an hour and then suddenly quit for a split second, and backfired as it came back to life. I continued to mow and it did it again, the third...

Briggs & Stratton 16.5 OHV [ 19 Answers ]

I have a B&S 16.5 OHV MTD Yardman that will not turn over even though the starter and battery are OK. It will turn to a point and then stops. If I remove the spark plug it turns freely like it should. I know that removes the pressure in the cylinder but I don't know what could cause it to bind...

How to adjust valves on Ohv 16.5 briggs & Stratton [ 13 Answers ]

I would like to know who to adjust the valves on a 16.5 briggs & stratton ohv engine.

Briggs & Stratton 14.5hp OHV - Won't Run [ 8 Answers ]

I have a yard machine mower that was running great. It shut off in the middle of cutting and that was that. If I pour gas in the carb it tries to start, so I know I have fire. I have plenty of gas going to the carb and the solenoid on the bottom is working fine. I had the carb off, took the main...

Briggs & Stratton Vanguard 16HP OHV No Spark? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi All, Seen several threads along this line but nothing that seems to help me. I have a Briggs & Stratton Model 303777 Vanguard (on a 1994 Snapper SR170 Rider). The engine turns over well, but will not start. I am not getting any "thump" when it turns. I am not hearing any clicking from the...

View more questions Search