Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sghensley37 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2007, 07:11 AM
    Bank Account Levy
    My husband has a judgement against him with a credit card company and they have put a levy on our checking account and took all of the funds we had available! Can they do this or is this suppose to work like a garnishment where they can only take up to a certain amount?

Thanks !
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2007, 07:44 AM
    Hello s:

Nahhh. I think they can take it ALL.

excon
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 17, 2007, 09:06 AM
    The levy is only for the total amount of money in your account on the day it was levied. It tends to be Mondays when this is done, the bank usually receives a court order on Thursdays and it takes usually 2-3 business days to verify the judgment is legit. It usually takes 21 days (differs in each state) when the money is released and paid to the collector. They can only get a bank order for what is owed and nothing else.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bank account levy [ 13 Answers ]

3 days ago I found out that my bank account had been frozen. I contacted the bank and they said there was a levy on my account. I never received any kind of notice stating that this was going to happen. What steps can I take to correct this?

Levy on my bank account [ 3 Answers ]

I know this question has been asked a dozen different times, in a dozen different ways. I'm at my wits end, though, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll try to make my back story as short as possible. I owe back child support. A great deal of child support to be honest. I'm not...

Levy on bank account [ 1 Answers ]

If a creditor trustee has sent me a letter saying that they put in a judgement for a levy on my account, What is next? Do I wait for another letter from a judge or some sort?

Bank Account Levy [ 1 Answers ]

Will they go after my house, if I close my account? I can't pay my other bills because they are holding my deposit?

View more questions Search