Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Morgan Martin Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2007, 02:43 PM
    Fraud under $5000
    I purchased between 25 - 30 pieces of clothing at 3-4 different stores in a short period. I ended up returning six items that I changed my mind on after I tried them on at home. I returned all the items to the one store I believed I purchased them at. I was given an instore credit for some items and some they just credited my VISA. When I went to use my instore credit there was no money on it so I called to inquire - to make a long story short I was referred to the LPO and she told me to call the RCMP who arrested me and charged me with 4 counts of fraud for 4 of my returns. I was dumbfounded as I did not at the time realize why this was happening. After I saw the disclosure I realized when I retagged the tags that were taken off I put them on the wrong items. This was an innocent mistake but the store and the cops did not see it that way.

I have plead not guilty - do you think the court will understand what happened or will they assume I did this with an intent to defraud.

Please help.

Thank you.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2007, 05:00 PM
    Hello Morgan:

If you returned six items of NEW clothing, then it makes your story sound believable. I'm not even sure that the store WAS defrauded. Yes, they took in some merchandise that they didn't sell, and gave a store credit or even refunded the entire purchase price...

But, the store STILL has those items of clothing that they can sell. So they've lost NOTHING.

If they're upset about taking back things that they didn't sell, that's one thing. But to charge you with a crime is another.

The above notwithstanding, you STILL need a good lawyer.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 16, 2007, 06:06 PM
    Yes, sadly you believe courts care, sorry nope, they will look at evidence and any statements you may have made without an attorney.

Assume the court wants to put you away and work from that position, don't trust the police, don't trust the DA for sure, and go under the assumption that they judge is out to get you.

Hire the best attorney possible.
    Morgan Martin Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2007, 11:11 AM
    Comment on excon's post
    Good points
    wynelle Posts: 184, Reputation: 21

Nov 17, 2007, 03:29 PM
    I guess the big question is why you took the tags off in the first place, then put them back on different garments. And why you didn't check the receipts before you returned them

Get a good attorney. But I think there is a lot more to this story than you are saying.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fraud under 5000$ [ 6 Answers ]

I'm not even sure if this is what I think it is. Basically I'll just describe the situation. I walked into my bank yesterday with a wish to deposit my paycheck. I walk to the ABM machine and see a question on it *DO YOU NEED MORE TIME ?* I clicked yes, it prompted me to a menu of a...

Fraud not exceeding $5000 [ 2 Answers ]

I use to work at a local grocery store. In about mid Nov, one of my coworkers came through my cash(I was a cashier), and attempted to walk out of the store with merchandise she did not pay for, with out my knowledge. She was apprehended by in store security ,and we were both taken to the managers...

Fraud Under $5000 [ 2 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I am in Canada, I was called down to a police station and the peace officer issued a appearance notice to attend court and get fingerprinted. It says I committed fraud under $5000. He showed me some pictures of me at the store. 1) most important - will I get a criminal...

Theft/Fraud under $5000 [ 3 Answers ]

I've recently been scammed by a "friend". She was helping me sell some Play station 3 game consoles, and few days later she told me they were stolen. After that I waited a while than checked about the status of the police report etc. and found out she never filed one, and for two weeks I called...

View more questions Search