Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Litia76 Posts: 2, Reputation: 3

Nov 16, 2007, 12:10 PM
    When will her bloodline be considered "clean"?
    My husbands female pitbull had sex with the neighborhood mutt(pitbull, lab mix) I have heard that she can now never have pure bred pitbull puppiesbut my husband believes thqat if he breeds her on her next cycle with a pit bull the puppies will be pure bred who is correct?
    katieperez Posts: 236, Reputation: 35

Nov 16, 2007, 12:48 PM
    If she is purebred & bred with a purebred male pit, the pups will be purebred also.

That being said, you and your husband are obviously not responsible pet owners much less breeders. The dog needs to be spayed. I don't care if you want purebred pit pups, or whatever your reason is, the fact that you asked this question in the first place goes to show you are very uneducated on the principles of responsible breeding. To have let her mate with a mix breed that you know nothing about is wrong in so many ways. It is impossible for you to know if these puppies will be healthy and have a sound temperament. I'm guessing that you are clueless to the fact that hundreds of thousands of dogs, pit bulls in particular, are being murdered in America's pounds at the taxpayers expense every year because of over population, i.e. not enough homes. Please do yourselves, your dog, and any future dogs she may have had a favor and have her spayed.
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2007, 12:54 PM
    If she is purebred, the next litter of puppies, if she is bred with a purebred, would have a clean bloodline and be purebred, I believe.

I also agree with katieperez, if you don't know much about breeding, you shouldn't be doing it, you could end up with puppies with major problems stemming from genetic issues if you are not careful, and it's very irresponsible to breed your dogs all willynilly.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2007, 03:08 PM
    I suspect the old myth about future litters was dreamed up by somebody to hurt their competition.

As for breeding her again, I am pleased some others have already spoken out on the issue. You can find some excellent material on what it takes to breed responsibly start at Articles
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2007, 03:42 PM
    Litia, your husband is correct.

At this time I am not aware of any member of this site who regularly contributes to this board, that is considered to be a responsible breeder. Most of the people who respond to this forum are against backyard breeding, which is what your husband is planning on doing. So, unfortunately, you aren't going to get a warm welcome when you ask such a basic question. The following is a very important point: allowing your dog to get out when in heat to breed to any male in the neighborhood is considered by responsible breeders to be the height of irresponsibility. The AKC has guidelines for breeding quality dogs, which responsible breeders follow. I think you will benefit from reading it. Here is their link:American Kennel Club - Responsible Breeding Steps

Regarding this mixed litter you spoke about, you and your husband need to think about where you have placed these puppies or where you are planning on placing them. Everyone loves puppies but not everyone understands how much responsibility comes with caring for and training of a dog. After the excitement and newness of a puppy wear off, there are many people who will just dump them somewhere or surrender them to a shelter. You need to make sure that this litter has gone to responsible "forever" homes so that this doesn't happen. Also, as I am sure you are aware, an untrained pitbull (or pitbull mix) can be a very dangerous dog. You need to consider in today's world, if someone's child gets mauled or killed by a dog that came from your dog's litter, the parent of that child will be looking to sue the owner of the dog along with anyone else they can find to sue. So, there is always the chance that a lawsuit very well might include you, the breeder.

As of this writing, there are now 8243 pitbulls and pitbull mixes that are listed for adoption on petfinder. Here is the link so that you know I am not just creating this figure:
    Petfinder.com This doesn't include the American Staffordshire Terrier, also considered a pitbull. There are 2871 of those waiting to be adopted. So, there are now over 11,000 pitbulls and pitbull mixes that we know of who are looking for homes throughout the U.S. Sadly, pitbulls are the first in line to be euthanized when a home isn't found within a short period, due to the negative reports on the breed.
    Can you be 100% positive that this won't be the fate of one of your puppies?
    Please reconsider breeding your dog and do the responsible thing by having her spayed. If you do this you won't have to worry about her developing uterine and ovarian cancer later in life.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 16, 2007, 04:28 PM
    Okay, look at it from a medical standpoint, semen does not mix with blood. Not in humans, not in dogs.

Humans cannot change their bloodlines by having sex with someone who is racially different from them, hence, a dog's bloodline will not change by having sex with a dog of a different breed.

Okay, you dog experts can take over again. Just had to add my medical 2 cents.
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2007, 04:29 PM
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to J_9 again.

But yeah, so true. XD
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2007, 04:41 PM
    Oh, one more point, it is better for the dog's health to spread litters out at least a year apart. This would be even more important if the first breeding was before the recommended 2 years.

I wonder if part of how the myth got started is the willingness of female dogs to mate with additional dogs, possibly an unknown additional breeding resulting in mix breeds the next litter.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2007, 08:15 PM
    I have to ask... who registers pit bulls? They aren't an AKC recognized breed, from what I can tell. So how do you even prove you have a purebred pit bull, with a documented pedigree?
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2007, 06:43 AM
    Froggy, the AKC recognizes the American Staffordshire Terrier. The UKC recognizes the American Pit Bull Terrier, not the Staffies. Although there are some differences between the two breeds, that are both classified as Pit Bulls. The UKC's web site isn't as informative as the AKC's, In my opinion. Most of the information given, such as responsible breeding, is all encompassing and not breed specific.

Most people who own pits don't have paperwork and aren't concerned about registration because they aren't looking to breed a show quality dog. They serve another purpose for the buyer. Most backyard breeders find out the hard way that there really isn't a demand for their puppies and at some point, they get stuck with more than they can handle. That is why the figures I quoted above are the highest of any breed in the shelter system. Most will dump the dogs somewhere. Some dogs die, others find their way into the shelter system and are euthanized, a few manage to get placed. The majority of people will not take in a stray adult pitbull into their homes. I wouldn't.

Litia PM'd me and told me that the dog had 3 puppies and her husband has decided to keep them. I am left wondering how they plan on keeping them from breeding with each other, or if his plans are to breed them to each other and pass them off as pure pits. This is an FYI for Litia: Just as with humans, breeding siblings can create a host of medical & emotional issues. You may see some severe deformities. The majority of any litter from that type of breeding will create a substandard dog.
    Litia76 Posts: 2, Reputation: 3

Nov 17, 2007, 11:52 AM
    Just to let everyone know my husbsnd does not breed pitbulls... Sascha is an indoor dog when she was in heat she was outdoor in an enclosed kennel that her "boyfriend" jumped (the Puppies) My brother in law has a pitbull and they have several cousins who want them and they were thinking of breeding the two for that purpose
    katieperez Posts: 236, Reputation: 35

Nov 17, 2007, 12:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Litia76
    Just to let everyone know my husbsnd does not breed pitbulls...

My brother in law has a pitbull and they have several cousins who want them and they were thinking of breeding the two for that purpose
    If your husband does not breed pit bulls, then he has no business mating her to your brother in law's dog. Period. Perhaps you could convince the cousins to adopt one of the over 11,000 pit bulls (thanks Ruby :) ) that need good homes? Sascha needs to be spayed. Not only to prevent more unwanted pups with a shaky future, but for her own health benefits as earlier pointed out. It's really in everyone's best interest.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore Ultra Wash Dishwasher flashing "clean" light needs to be reset [ 110 Answers ]

We paid a Sears repairman to come out when we had a flashing "Clean" light on our dishwasher, A Kenmore Ultra Wash 665.1603 or 1703, and he gave us the diagnostic code (buttons to push on the operating panel) and we have used it again after that, but I cannot find the order of the buttons to push...

Honda accord 2000 6 cyl " the light "check" is on" [ 1 Answers ]

My honda accord 2000 6 cyl. With 101000k miles is was with the light "check" on. I took To a non-honda mechanic and he erased it. The computer said that the code is PO700, and the mechanic said that it needs to have the "transmission rebuilt", and the price ranges from $ 1500.00 - 1600.00. My...

Can partial rent be considered "paid in full"? Part2 [ 2 Answers ]

Can partial rent be considered "paid in full"? -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have a store in which the rent for the past 3 years has been $9K/month. I have 2 years left on the lease. I've spoken over the phone and have many email...

Can partial rent be considered "paid in full"? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a store in which the rent for the past 3 years has been $9K/month. I have 2 years left on the lease. I've spoken over the phone and have many email correspondence with the leasing director of the realty company about giving me lower rent since the weakening economy due to high energy...

View more questions Search