Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    strong__dan Posts: 41, Reputation: 2

Nov 16, 2007, 10:44 AM
    Stole 19,000
    A little over a year ago my dad stole 19,000 dollars of mine but can technically keep it because my parents put it in a mutual account for me in there name. He does not want to give it back at all and I've tried lots of things to get it back and its making my life stressful, is there anything I can do? :(
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 16, 2007, 10:52 AM
    We need more details.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2007, 11:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by strong__dan
    a little over a year ago my dad stole 19,000 dollars of mine but can technically keep it because my parents put it in a mutual account for me in there name. He does not want to give it back at all and i've tried lots of things to get it back and its making my life stressful, is there anything i can do??:(

Would be interested in where the money came from (settlement, bequest, savings), how the money was held, how it's held now, how old you are.

Nov 16, 2007, 08:48 PM
    I'm 18 yrs old and it just came from a td mutual account

Nov 16, 2007, 08:49 PM
    I think my dad just has it in an account under his name so only he can get to it
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2007, 09:29 PM
    Hello strong:

You need a lawyer. Get on the phone and keep calling until you find somebody who you feel comfortable with, and HIRE him.

You'll only have to pay if you win.

excon
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2007, 08:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello strong:

You need a lawyer. Get on the phone and keep calling until you find somebody who you feel comfortable with, and HIRE him.

You'll only have to pay if you win.

excon

I don't know if an Attorney would take this type of case on a contingency basis - would be interested in finding out. Usually the "proof" and disbursements are pretty costly and I do not know what different Bar Associations allow to be contingent cases. Of course, contingent or not the client still has to pay the out of pocket.

Would still be interested in where the money came from initially - gifts, settlement - ? Wonder if father is guardian or trustee and whether Court ordered - ?
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2007, 09:07 AM
    Strong_Dan, we need clarification. Did you give your parents 19,000 to put into a mutual fund? (Which would make me wonder where you got that much cash at 17, but that's a separate issue.) Or did your parents tell you that they have 19K set aside for you in a mutual fund? (Which makes more sense to me.) Because that'sthe heart of the issue. If you did not earn the money by working, lawsuit settlement. Inheritance, gift, whatever, then your dad hasn't stolen it.

Nov 17, 2007, 05:36 PM
    If you want us to help you you have to give us something to go on and you haven't. We need to know how thius money was accumulated we need to know the source and a lot more then you have told us.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 17, 2007, 05:46 PM
    Yes Dan, some help please

1. where did the money come from
    2. how old were you when you got the money
    3. how was the money paid, and what was it for
    4. who gave the money to your dad
    5. did he have a legal right to the money ? If in a joint account, He can not steal something he legally could access

A lot of direct info is needed.

Nov 17, 2007, 09:17 PM
    I worked for the money until I was 17 by having multiple jobs and the money was taken out of my chequing account to the mutual fund that was in my parents name and I couldn't get to it because it was suppose to be used for university when I turned 18. When my parents split up and year ago my dad took the money out of the account and put it in one of his accounts so only he could touch so technically I guess it isn't considered stealing but I worked for that money and it's a waste since he took the money I worked for and I want to fight for it back but don't want to lose and lose a bunch of money I don't have

Nov 18, 2007, 09:00 AM
    OK, so you had a joint account with one or both of your parents. You put money you had earned from various jobs into that account. Was that the only money that was put into it?

There was an agreement between all of you, that this money would be used for your college education. Now your dad has moved the money out of the joint account into an account that only he can access (it really doesn't matter whether the account is a mutual fund, saving account or whatever).

A few more questions. What reason did you dad give for doing this? Have you asked him for the money? Do you have proof that the funds in the account were money you deposited? Have you enrolled or applied to a university?
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2007, 09:08 AM
    You could try suing him in superior court. You'll need a good lawyer (who'll have to add his/her fees to the $19,000.) How did you acquire this money in the first place and under what circumstances? Was it an inheritance from a grandparent or something like that? How old are you now? While he may technically have the "right" to keep the money since it was placed in a mutual fund under his name in trust for you, if the money is in fact rightfully yours (such as an inheritance) then a good lawyer ought to be able to convince a court to order your father to turn it over to you either now or when you turn 18 if you aren't already, in keeping with the "spirit" of the law.

Nov 18, 2007, 02:01 PM
    Im not to sure why he did this, and yes I have asked him for the money but he won't give it to me. I don't really have any proof I guess I could go to the bank and ask for history of when I deposited that money in the mutual account would that work? And I have been in university since September.

Nov 18, 2007, 02:52 PM
    You need to discuss this with him before you do anything else. Maybe he is paying tuition for you out of it.
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2007, 02:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by strong__dan
    Im not to sure why he did this, and yes i have asked him for the money but he won't give it to me. I dont' really have any proof I guess i could go to the bank and ask for history of when i deposited that money in the mutual account would that work?? and i have been in university since september.

If I understand you correctly this is money you earned and your father somehow took it out of an bank account in your name only and put it in a mutual account in his name only and now he won't give it back.

I think now that you have asked him for the money and he has said no you have no choice but to contact an Attorney - find out what your options are. How he managed to take the money out of your account will be one of the questions - for example, was it held in trust for you - ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What equals 1,000,000 [ 12 Answers ]

I have been asked this question and have absolutley NO idea on what the answer is, someone please help me! Ok here's the question. If a = 1, b = 2, z = 26, is there a word that when the values of the letters are multiplied will make a product of one million? For example, BAD = (2)(1)(4) = 8.

1.000.000 USD silvercoin certificate [ 12 Answers ]

Dear All, I have ONE MILLION face value silvercoin certificate issued 1928 with serial number B25137222 N. Does anybody know the real value of this note and how to sell it ? Here is following note I have as well, and image of both sides of this.

What to do if you stole from an Employer? [ 15 Answers ]

Today I was caught stealing money over a course of two months in transactions I have never been in trouble before or stole from my employer before this and only ever had than a speeding ticket. The only reason I can think that I did it was for the money. I never stole anything in my life except for...

$12,000,000 at retirement. How? [ 1 Answers ]

If you want to have $12,000,000 at retirement. You start to deposit $40,000 per year at 12% into your retirement account. How many years will it take you to have that amount? And how do you calculate this information to get that answer?

I stole from a store [ 1 Answers ]

One of my good friends works at a small accessories store (im from ontario canada) and 3 times I have gone and picked out things in which she has just bagged them and I haven't paid for them... I recently discovered that there may be a camera in the corner of the store, would I get in trouble? And...

View more questions Search