Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rcysej Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2007, 10:13 PM
    Disruptive 8 year old
    I have an 8 year old son who is starting to be disruptive at home. He is the baby of 5 children. He is being very disruptive and is not listening, he says mean things to his and is physically fighting with his 11 year old brother. When he speaks to me or his father he acts like he is 2 years old. We can't speak to anyone else with out him getting in the middle of us and rudely interrupts until he drags us away from them . He is well behaved at school and other people when we're not around. I am not sure what to do for him. He always gets positive attention from us all. Why he is behaving like this I do not know. I'm desperately needing advice, can someone please help?
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2007, 10:31 PM
    It sounds like he is acting out for attention, to me, even if it is negative attention. I say give him the attention through discipline. Correct him when he talks rudely or out of line, find a punishment for fighting, perhaps make him sit in his room or take away a toy or privilege. DO NOT allow him to drag you away from other people, YOU are the adult and the parent, and he is NOT in control and needs to know that, and if he does not listen, don't just continue to give warnings or threaten with punishments, following through will make him realize you're serious and he needs to stop. If he continues to misbehave, maybe he can talk to a professional and they can help guide you depending on why he feels he should or can act out.

All this is just my opinion, but if he is fighting and being mean and being rude, he needs some discipline.
    shazaam Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2007, 07:54 PM
    I have 3 boys. Our middle boy, age 4, has typical middle child behavior. Despite lots of redirection, he will often exhibit behaviors like your youngest son.

My husband and I are making a conscientious effort to have time set aside for special days... or even just uninterrupted moments for him. Sometimes, its just to share a book, bake cookies, or have an extended 1-on-1 conversation.

Sometimes it works, sometimes not. But, wrong or right we are trying to meet what we feel are our son's needs based on inherent parenting notions.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 22, 2007, 08:20 PM
    Sounds like he needs some good ole fashion negative attention, after you spank him for being disruptive does he still do it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Full year resident alien part year treaty [ 1 Answers ]

My country has a tax treaty with US. I came on J1 visa in September 2005 and got the benefit of the tax treaty till August 2007. And since September 2007 my taxes are being with held. I am considered as full year resident alien since Januarary 2007. Which tax form I need to fill up and where to...

Calendar Year or Fiscal Year for H1b Visa Holders? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I would be going to the US on an H1B, accompanied with my wife and two kids (all on H4). Tax experts could you please answer the following doubts of mine: 1. For individuals on H1B, the only selection of tax year is a calendar tax year, right? 2. If I reach US somewhere on Oct 1 2007, I...

SS disruptive behavior [ 3 Answers ]

Hi guys... I have tried everything nothing and I mean NOTHING will work. My stepson whom is 10 absolutely hates me, I am at the end with him. He will do nothing I ask him to do. When his dad gets him he stays right under his dad. I have set bed time rules shower time rules and none of this works....

6-year Indian Student, 1040EZ but claiming social security taxes from 5th year. [ 3 Answers ]

I've been in the States since 2001 (F-1 undergrad, then 1 year of F-1 OPT, and now with a new F-1 for grad school), 6 years so far and all at the same university in NYC. This will be my first year filing the 1040EZ, and I have a few Q's... Four questions: * Is the 1040EZ form the...

Disruptive Family Member [ 8 Answers ]

To make a long story short; the family member who's disruptive is my boyfriend's sister in law and we don't know what to do. His family is chinese and she's very traditional and so she's going by those rules and so forth. She married his oldest brother in February 2004 and his father welcomed her...

View more questions Search