Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hatred_4_dad Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2007, 08:51 PM
    14 and wants to lvie with my mom full time, NOT DAD
    I'm fourteen years old and I live in the state of Michigan. I have two parents both divorced. They share custody half-half. I want to live with my mom full time and not my dad. My dad doesn't answer my calls, always hangs up on me and never listens. Were alwayss fighting at his house and we never talk unless its bad. I love my mom and want to live with her. My Dad is a prick and is always making me do his slave work around the house and makes fun of me. Hes making me cry all the time and it drives me insane to the point where I think of suicide. I can't live with him any longer. What should I do? Will the friend of the court work? Am I old enough to make my own decision?
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2007, 09:42 PM
    Talk to your mom and have her petition for full custody and explain how your dad treats you poorly and you want to live with your mom, at 14, a child is usually mature enough to choose and know well enough which parent they want to live with, especially if there are legitimate reasons like poor treatment on the part of one parent, so they will take your opinion into consideration and that may help your mother win full custody.

Good luck!
    hatred_4_dad Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2007, 09:52 PM
    Comment on charlotte234s's post
    It gives a good idea I didn't think of
    Zenia Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2007, 10:04 PM
    I'm not sure of the laws in Michigan but in Florida at the age of 13 you can decide which parents to live with. My suggestion is to talk to your mother and ask if she can file a motion for full custody, you also owe it to your father to tell him you are not going to be with him 1/2 the time. If during this process there is a need for a Guardian Ad Lidem, then you can express your feelings to this person who will in turn speak on your behalf. However, since you are 14, you may be able to voice your own opinions during the proceedings. You need to remember that once you open up this can of worms, your mom and dad may be investigated and if the Guardian Ad Lidem, the judge or any state worker thinks you're better off with your dad, you're doomed. Make sure the reasons you want to stay with your mom are legitimate and not favoritism.

Sometimes kids manipulate the system by lying. If your dad and you argue over house rules, and your mom is super easy on you and doesn't care what you do, the courts will favor your dad. Keep in mind to be honest.

Now, suicide is a big word and although most teenagers use it as a form of expression, if mentioned in court, you may be mandated therapy.

Good luck.

Zenia
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2007, 10:16 PM
    I lived in Michigan for a while, and I don't know if there is a specific age where the child legally gets to choose, but at 14, your wants would definitely be considered if they don't necessarily just let you choose at 14.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mom and dad tensions [ 2 Answers ]

I am 16. My dad is bipolar. He had an outbreak before the summer and went to the hospital, but everything (for the most part) got better. Today when he got home from work, he told me that my mom told him "to leave and never come back" a few days ago. He swore at me when I got home today....

Mom and dad. [ 2 Answers ]

See my mom and dad are "divorced." But they are not legally divorced. So he is not paying child support. So life sucks right now. If my mom and dad do get divored... Is it a court deal? Or is it just papers and done?

Full time student with Full time housewife [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Hope someone can help. I am going to professional school. My wife and I have three children and are living completely off student loans. We had no income in 2006 that had a W2 attached to it. That is, the only income we made was off eBay and odd end jobs throughout the year. Do I need...

Part Time Versus Full Time [ 1 Answers ]

Where is the line for part time employment versus full time employment in Georgia. I can't find it anywhere!

Part time or full time resident? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am a student in PA and spent about 3 months in New York during the summer for an internship. Since my primary domicile was still in PA (since I had to return for the next year of classes), am I a resident of PA for the full year or a part year resident? Likewise when I file state tax...

View more questions Search