Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hartford59 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2007, 07:30 PM
    10hp motor, unknown brand no spark!
    I have a 10hp motor. It has no spark. I tried testing the coil, but I think I did it wroung. What could be the problem?
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2007, 05:35 AM
    How did you test the coil? I would have used a spark tester and turned the engine over to see if I had fire. If not, I would disconnect the small (usually black) wire from the coil and see if it fired then. If not, I would assume the coil was bad. This is only true if you have not removed the coil and installed it incorrectly. If the gap is to large or small, or if you installed the coil upside down it will not work.
    Hartford59 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2007, 01:40 PM
    I used a tester to go from each individual coils, there is 8 little copper wire coils in the main coil, and it got full connection I also tested the condenser and the plug wire it self and it worked. I put like.. 3 new plugs in it and non of them worked and the coil isn't upside down because it can only go in 1 way. I also cleaned all of the magnents and stuff like that. So what could it possibly be?
    Billy Barlow Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2007, 05:24 PM
    How did you clean the magnets, I suppose you are talking about the magnets on the fly wheel. You should clean them with sandpaper or steel wool. Also clean the cil where it sits near the flywheel, rust can keep it from firing. Als check to make sure the coil is not grounded ouit either on the throttle control or on the key if it is electric start.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2007, 06:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartford59
    i used a tester to go from each individual coils, there is 8 little copper wire coils in the main coil, and it got full connection i also tested the condenser and the plug wire it self and it worked. i put like.. 3 new plugs in it and non of them worked and the coil isnt upside down because it can only go in 1 way. i also cleaned all of the magnents and stuff like that. so what could it possibly be?
    YES, the coil can be mounted upside down.
    GOOD LUCK.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Inducer motor overheats (carrier brand furnance) [ 10 Answers ]

I replaced my inducer motor on my furnace due to the old one was bounding up. Now the new one runs find in low speed but once the furnace kicks into the second stage the inducer motor shuts down(in high speed) which I believe the thermal overload(built in) opens causing my furnace shut down. When...

12.5 briggs and s that lost spark magnito replaced and no spark [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Deutz-Allis 613 lawn tractor with a B/S 12.5 horizontal engine. When I got it. The engine would run fine unless it was under a load... if the choke was pulled out half way the engine wouldn't stall. I replaced the drive belt and then the mower belt sharpened the blades and the tractor...

10hp Sears riding mower won't idle [ 3 Answers ]

I bought a used Craftsman (Sears) 10hp riding mower (model 502 255050) and it only runs at high throttle settings and backfires a bit. Everything else works and it does go at this throttle setting, but not comfortably. Clutch tricky to let out at this speed. (lifts front wheels) I think the gas...

Civic motor swap now no spark car won't start [ 1 Answers ]

Just swapped a japaneese d15b vtec engine into my 93 civic lx. Everything is hooked up and the motor turns over but won't start. Pulled a plug out and the motor is getting fuel but not spark... Any ideas? Maybe the coil (because the motor was cranked over without the plug wires hooked up to the...

Changing 7 watt bulbs in moonglow ceiling fan purchased at Walmart(brand unknown) [ 1 Answers ]

Need secret to replacing 7 watt bulbs in moonglow ceiling fan? Access panels to small for hand. Cedric

View more questions Search