Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Elnger Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2007, 06:05 PM
    How to protect myself against claim of inappropriate work behavior
    I was helping a Bad credit customer secure a car loan, and she told me how unsafe she felt around her boyfriend of only two weeks. I told her to tell her parents or friends. We cotinued to talk about her jobs, my family, small talk really, making fun of myself, while waiting for an approval. She now claims to my manager that I was inapporpriate. But has no witness. By the way I was not. I went out of my way to help her and make her feel comfortable about something's she told me. I also communicated the entire time with her hero boyfriend. Now I have been suspended for two days from work to appease them. And they are threatening to get a lawyer. She volunteered all the information, and could have always got up and walked out of my office. It's a glass office out in the open. I feel I made myself a target. We think they may be asking for money off their car. How can I protect myself at this point when its he said, she said?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 15, 2007, 06:14 PM
    You most certainlly crossed the line, I doubt you would ( and most certainlly should not) be that personal and that "helping" with all customers.

Your job is not to secure the deal but to forward proper paperwork, and ask for specific info from the customer, if it goes though great, but many will get turned down also. And it appears you should not be keeping too much too private. Yes you crossed the lines many times from what it sounds like to me.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2007, 07:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Elnger
    ///
    Hello El:

I don't know. I've done /// before and nobody thought I crossed the line.

excon
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2007, 09:16 AM
    We think they may be asking for money off their car. How can I protect myself at this point when its he said, she said?
    Hello again, E:

Yeah, I knew there had to be more to the story than ///.

I don't know what you need protection from. Are you being fired? Did you fight the suspension? Do you want to fight it now?? Are they suing you?

If they want money, they don't want it from YOU. I don't understand. But once I do understand, I'll give you kicka$$ advice.

excon

Nov 16, 2007, 09:32 AM
    I was suspended for two dayas and the company said that's the end of it. Can they come after me personally or just the company? Neither of them have credible backgrounds. I have no history in my background or files. My company manager said they are backing me. Still nervous because she is twisting everything I said, and her boyfriend is driving it and he wasn't even there. When I am unable to secure a loan for a customer I have to turn them over to our subprime manager. Which I did, and continued to help them. She is saying I have her cellnumber and she is worried about that. I never called her on it. I give all my customer my cell and lan line number. Should I just sit tight? How can they possibly file a case when we were sitting in an office in the open, she never got up to leave, and she was volunteering all the information.
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2007, 10:03 AM
    I was suspended for two dayas and the company said thats the end of it. Can they come after me personally
    Hello again E:

If your company says that's it, then that's it. Your job is safe. Can they come after you personally? Look, in this great country of ours, anybody can sue anybody. Winning is another matter.

Relax. You had people in front of you who don't have two cents. They're raising a ruckus for who knows what reason. People like this don't sue anybody. They can't afford a lawyer, and wouldn't have clue how to proceed. IF they could afford a lawyer, NO lawyer in the world is going to take this case - NONE.

In a nutshell, they're full of crap. In the real world, you have nothing to fear from these people. Just learn from the experience and STAY professional.

excon

Nov 16, 2007, 10:07 AM
    Comment on excon's post
    Just a straight no nonense aswer very helpful
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 16, 2007, 10:11 AM
    Were you suspended without pay? If not, then let it drop. Your employers were just suspending you to avoid a lawsuit by looking like they took some action.

But since this is a he said/she said deal you can't really fight it further unless they try to. Would they win? I sincerely doubt it.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2007, 10:12 AM
    I was helping a Bad credit customer secure a car loan, and she told me how unsafe she felt around her boyfriend of only two weeks. I told her to tell her parents or friends. We cotinued to talk about her jobs, my family, small talk really, making fun of myself, while waiting for an approval. She now claims to my manager that I was inapporpriate. But has no witness. By the way I was not. I went out of my way to help her and make her feel comfortable about somethings she told me. I also communicated the entire time with her hero boyfriend. Now I have been suspended for two days from work to appease them. And they are threatning to get a lawyer. She volunteered all the information, and could have always got up and walked out of my office. Its a glass office out in the open. I feel I made myself a target. We think they may be asking for money off their car. How can I protect myself at this point when its he said, she said?

I think in this legal climate you have to be very, very careful with workplace issues - what is not inappropriate to you may very well appear very inappropriate to me. And do I think women make these charges for personal gains - yes, all the time. And could she have just gotten up and walked out - some women can, other women are easily intimidated.

If I were investigating this claim I would pounce on your statement: "But ... has no witness." On one hand you did nothing; on the other, she has no witness? And the glass office has little to do with verbal harassment.

I think the best thing you can do at this time is see what transpires next, don't panic, be more watchful of what you consider friendly conversation but someone could see as harassment.

My husband is a Pharmacist; you would not BELIEVE the questions women ask him (don't these people have Physicians they could ask?). He constantly trains his staff and attends classes himself on how to handle these questions; how to buffer the innuendos (and there are people out there who enjoy making your hair stand on end); how to turn down the sexual overtures (people seeking drugs make all kinds of offers). Bottom line - he is the only person who can protect himself and what is NOT offensive to one person IS offensive to another, even under the cloak/guise of a medical question and answer session.

Nov 16, 2007, 10:14 AM
    Comment on ScottGem's post
    I am not trying to fight the suspension. I am just at home worried sick. Thanks good answer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is inappropriate behavior for a coworker and your spouse? [ 8 Answers ]

My husband got a text message from a female coworker around 11pm at night, he was at home with me, this was also the night of the company Christmas party, which we decided to not attend as we have 2 small children and no babysitter. The first text message was "where are you" and the second was...

Inappropriate Message? [ 13 Answers ]

Getthemexicans answered a question under music/kiss from an angel. Is that considered inappropriate? I thought it was pretty rude.

Katiy's Inappropriate Behavior [ 2 Answers ]

I was away for a couple of weeks, so I'm here giving some beauty and health advice. As I was searching the forums, I saw some posts by Katiy that were inappropriate. I was thinking of making a comment about his or her hostile behavior. Then, I remembered mentioning to admin that I was going to...

View more questions Search