Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    northlansing Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2007, 01:31 PM
    Is there any downside to adding our children to our certificate of deposit, savings accounts or checking accounts. The accounts are held jointly by myself and my husband. If we should die together, can our children withdraw the money at their descretion without death taxes or any other charges or taxes?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 15, 2007, 01:37 PM
    First its not a good idea to piggyback your question on someone else's. This can lead to confusion. You should start a new thread. So I've moved your question to its own thread.

If the accounts are held as joint tentnats with rights of survivorship, then the funds pass directly to the joint tenants ouside the estate.

There might be some issue of gift tax if you do this and there is also the issue of sibling rivalry if the accounts aren't distributed evenly.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 15, 2007, 01:51 PM
    Other issues, if the children would go into bankruptcy, if they would get a judgement against them, if they would just be dishonest they could just take all the money

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Strategic Planning [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference between domestic and international strategic planning?

Marketing planning [ 4 Answers ]

Marketing planning in fashion designing?

Problems with Executor of Estate not signing sales contract for real estate [ 4 Answers ]

My sister and I are the beneficiaries of our mothers will. She died when I was 17 and left my sister and I half of her estate, and named her doctor as the executor. I am now 22 and my sister is 20 (21 next month). We all agreed (verbally) to sell the family house to our father for $125k. He...

View more questions Search