Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cshomaker Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2007, 08:05 AM
    Financial responsibility after quit claim deed
    My son and his girlfriend bought a house together in Florida. Nine months ago he moved out of state, filed a quit claim deed to the property, and she paid him back what he had put into the house. Now he is getting notices from the bank threatening foreclosure on the house. What is his financial resonsibility here? How can he handle this long-distance?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2007, 04:13 PM
    Hello cs:

The bank isn't going to let him off the hook just because he gave away his interest. He's either going to have to pay the back payments or the house will be foreclosed upon. The house will be sold at auction, and your son will be sued for the difference between what the bank sold the house for and what your son owes.

Of course, your son can always sue the ex.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2007, 10:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cshomaker
    My son and his girlfriend bought a house together in Florida. Nine months ago he moved out of state, filed a quit claim deed to the property, and she paid him back what he had put into the house. Now he is getting notices from the bank threatening foreclosure on the house. What is his financial resonsibility here? How can he handle this long-distance?

I'm a little surprised that he quit claimed the property, presumably the quit claim was filed and the bank/mortgage company didn't step in at that time and demand that the property be refinanced. Change that to very surprised. In my area the Banks are at the County Clerk's office like vultures!

And, yes, he is financially responsible as long as he's on the mortgage.

He will have to get an Attorney in Florida to handle this for him. Did an Attorney prepare and advise on the quit claim Deed?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Special warranty deed and quit claim deed what are they? [ 6 Answers ]

What is the difference bewtween the two and what is the purpose?

Quit Claim Deed; Financial Responsibility [ 1 Answers ]

If I sign a Quit Claim deed, am I still held responsible for the financial portions of a mortgage? I just want my name removed from the responsibility portion; my former wife cannot obtain refinancing and is currently unable to sell the home.

Quit Claim Deed/Contract for Deed [ 7 Answers ]

Ok, I have posted before. I had a contract for deed piece of property, and have myself been going back and forth with a lawyer and the client. Trying to make a offer to end this nightmare. I offered them 1000.00 in 10 payments and at the end of that to sign a quitclaim deed or 500.00 and...

Quit Claim Deed, Releases Financial Liability? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My ex and I own property together in another state. We bought the property, built a house and intended to sell it for more than the land and construction cost. After divorcing he wants to keep the house and I just want out. He intends to buy me out for a small amount, considering that there is...

Corrective Deed, New Quit Claim Deed, or See an Attorney? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a major problem with a quit claim deed that was done regarding my father's property. The intention was to put me in the deed but as an heir to the property, not as a co-owner or anything like that. So, a quit claim deed was filled out and recorded at the clerk of the circuit court. However,...

View more questions Search