Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jaino Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2007, 08:04 AM
    How to improve my child's reading?
    How to improve my child's reading?
    qbalmost39 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2007, 08:08 AM
    I purchased Hooked on Phonics and it does wonders as long as you are willing to work with your child. My daughter was reading at 4years old. It also helps older children.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2007, 08:51 AM
    Read to them, every day, every night. Let them take the lead in finishing sentences. Do the alphabet together by doing the letter sounds then find words that start with those sounds.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 15, 2007, 08:54 AM
    Start with a list of sight words... the, and, it, if, etc. teach them sight words, then when you are reading with them they read the sight words along with you.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 15, 2007, 10:05 AM
    It starts with you being a good role model. If you child never sees you read he will not sense the importance. Read for yourself, read to him and let him read to you.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2007, 08:39 PM
    I remember when I was in the first grade. One thing that left an impression on me was that I was in the lowest reading group. My mom spent time with me every day on my reading skills. I remember one of the things that she did was I would read one word and then she would read the next. It wasn't long before I was in the highest level reading group.
    sGt HarDKorE Posts: 656, Reputation: 98

Nov 18, 2007, 08:54 PM
    I went to a public school in first grade, and it was so big that the teachers used microphones for their classes. I was such a bad reader, they wanted to put me in special ed. Instead of that, I went to a private school, and they did phonics there and the classes were of 12 or less. I went there for 6 years and then I went to a public junior high. Now I can read good, and could be in honors english if I wanted to be as I got all A's in English now.

Consider how your kid's school is, and I'm sure as others have said, read to your kid, and just him him or her feel awsome when they accomplish reading pages and books
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 18, 2007, 08:55 PM
    Writing is a big part of reading. Ask your child to help you with your grocery list. You and he discuss what you need and he prints the words on grocery-list paper. If he doesn't know how to spell something, sound it out for him. Maybe he could even draw a picture too for some of the items.

Play word and spelling and memory games such as "I see something in this room [or on this table or in this car] that starts with "P" (or "B" or "F" etc.). Start with objects that are easy to guess. When we played this at our evening supper table, my father started us out slow, then gradually got into harder words like "C" - "condensation" (on the iced tea glasses). Play the Memory Game with picture tiles or playing cards lying in rows and columns, and take turns to match two (and later, with experience, match four).

Of course, like someone earlier said, read to him, read together, and also let your child read to you. Make words and reading fun!
    krg492 Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Nov 18, 2007, 09:05 PM
    Comment on ballengerb1's post
    This answer shows the benefit of a good foundation... coming from parents
    beefstew88 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2008, 05:34 PM
    All of the previous are good answers. I recommend working on rhyme. Read rhyming stories and sometimes see if your child can supply the rhyme. The cat sat on the ___.
    Mat of course. Nursery rhymes are good for this. So is Dr. Seuss.

Hooked on Phonics can be a plus. Some children are not phonetic learners though. Many times children with speech errors have difficulty with phonics.

Verbal word games are very good. Changing the first sound of words is a great skill. This can be done with word families. Hat, mat, sat etc.

I hope I have helped.

Beefstew88
    mybluebag Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2008, 10:26 PM
    Continue to read with your child. Always ask them questions, even during a regular day such as what is that? Can you spell it? What does it sound like?

Also, find books that your child likes to read. If they find it interesting they will want to read it more, which will improve their reading skills.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2008, 10:31 PM
    I agree, read with your child. My family likes to find the randomest crazy little kids books ofr my little cousin (like the boy who ended a war by peeing... lol). He's only four but he already loves reading just because of the books we read with him. It makes it fun for him.
    Sherbert Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2008, 02:20 PM
    My first child used Frontline Phonics in Kindergarten and was reading Chapter Books, like Goosebumps, Pokemon, in 1st Grade.

My second has some Speech Impediments that are hindering his Phonics and with the same approach as my first, he is slightly below level in Reading. Sight Words are his helper; we work on them daily - even weekends - his reading is improving just slower.

Each child is different and has different needs. I find that knowing how they learn (visual, hands on, verbal,. ) has been key to helping my kids with school.
    cmbcat Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2008, 03:00 PM
    I recently ordered a reading kit from ..:: See Me Read ™ ::... It's a set that uses personal photos of my daughter and her familiar items and makes them into books and flashcards so she can see her own stuff next to the actual words. I've just started using it and my daughter loves looking at the words and pictures of herself and the items. Apparently the woman who started the company was able to teach her son to read at age 3 using this idea. It's not nearly as expensive as Hooked on Phonics, so I thought it worth a try. Check it out! I have a 20% coupon code too - MNY0100P.
    cox Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2008, 02:16 PM

It depends on your child's age, and what he or she is having trouble with. Perhaps this can help.

1. Some children are hands on learners (kinesthetic learners), and school is not designed for these personalities. They learn to ride bikes, play monolopy, or play computer games with inthusiasm. But having to learn something that does not (in their concept) accomplish something is worthless.
    Have him learn by doing.
    2. If he/she knows the phonic sounds, they might have been taught them incorrectly causing them not to be able to blend them. You can learn how to correct this by going to a the following site, which provides free videos to listen to on-line. Hear the phonics sounds and phonics plends for free in the following 3 videos.

3. If your child is in kindergarten, first grade or second grade, and can not yet read, there is a very good game that provides static cling letters to be used to teach phonics, blending, and words. It comes with earlier reader books. I stress it is not for older children, but excellent for young ones. It can be purchased on line. But if you go to How to teach phonics sounds and reading by Ring Around the Phonics ,and navigate to their contact page you can order it at a discount by phone.
    logan176 Posts: 341, Reputation: 6

Jan 15, 2009, 08:16 PM

How old is your child? If your child is in elementary school, what is their reading level? Different things can be done depending on what your child's weakness is.
    kikidavis2005 Posts: 4, Reputation: 0

Feb 16, 2009, 05:21 PM

Every night you should get a book and read with your child so that their reading habits improve
    Carytib Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2009, 01:39 PM

You should read to him and get a tutor it really work that is

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Improve beards [ 5 Answers ]

I am 26 years old male. According to my age, beards are very less in numbers. Is there any way to get my beard thicker? Please help me... I am in a dilemma

How to improve reading and writing [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Sir or Madam, I am a Chinese student who has great interest in English. I want to improve my writing which is very essential for my future study in American university.I tried several methods but I couldn't feel any progress. It seems like I stay at the same place where I started....

Improve my english [ 4 Answers ]

Hi this is vinay wants to know about english communication so tell me how to improve my english communication fluently

Help improve my son's reading... [ 18 Answers ]

My son is 10 yrs old and now in the 5th grade. He has always struggled with reading but I'm worried that he is not improving well enough. I don't want him to have a hard time, as he gets older work will get harder. Are there any suggestions of workbooks, games, or programs that are a sure thing...

Improve Your Relationships [ 26 Answers ]

Improve Your Relationships The Power of Thought Love begins with our thoughts. We become what we think about. Loving thoughts create loving experiences and loving relationships. Affirmations can change our beliefs and thoughts about ourselves and others. If we want to love someone, we...

View more questions Search