Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wari Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2007, 05:51 AM
    I cant boot from CD
    I tried booting from thecd but I cant. I wanted to do XP system repair. It doesn't give the option... I even checked on the BIOS to see if it is the first and the computer is reading the CD drive. Can you help me...
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Nov 15, 2007, 07:18 AM
    Good mormming,

During the POST activitity, do you see the CD drive lite up for a brief amount of time?

If you don't see a momentary hit on the CD drive, then your BIOS is set incorrectly.

If you see the hit, then more than likley, the boot record on the cr disc is trashed.

Nov 16, 2007, 03:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by donf
    Good mormming,

During the POST activitity, do you see the CD drive ?

If you don't see a momentary hit on the CD drive, then your BIOS is set incorrectly.

If you see the hit, then more than likley, the boot record on the cr disc is trashed.
    Hi!

Thanks for response, I do see the CD Drive lite up for a brief amount of time. Do you think the discs I am booting with are damaged? Cause I have used more that 1 Windows XP disc

Nov 16, 2007, 03:00 AM
    Hi!

Thanks for response, I do see the CD Drive lite up for a brief amount of time. Do you think the discs I am booting with are damaged? Cause I have used more that 1 Windows XP disc

Nov 16, 2007, 03:06 AM
    Comment on donf's post
    Because now I know what to check
    askjuba Posts: 35, Reputation: 2

Nov 16, 2007, 07:29 AM
    Was the CD (unit / the hardware) working before being unable to boot from it? Thanks,
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Nov 16, 2007, 11:30 AM
    Wari,

Okay, let's back up a couple of steps. If you are trying to boot off the actual XP data discs, that may be your problem. Did your system come preloaded?

Can you boot off your hard drive? Are you trying to run a ststem restore? What type of system repair are you trying to do?
    dualcore38130 Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2007, 09:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wari
    I tried booting from thecd but I cant. I wanted to do XP system repair. It doesn't give the option...I even checked on the BIOS to see if it is the first and the computer is reading the CD drive. Can you help me...
    There will be problem with your drive or cd you change any one of them and then try :in oeder to bott from disk in bios you have set boot from disk to first preference then it will work or else it not
    babtothy01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2007, 06:08 AM
    How do I play a dvd on the computer
    Matteus Posts: 199, Reputation: 18

Nov 21, 2007, 02:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by wari
    Hi!

Thanks for response, I do see the CD Drive lite up for a brief amount of time. Do you think the discs I am booting with are damaged? cause I have used more that 1 Windows XP disc
    Does your old windows XP boot normally? If so, you can put another cd, after windows boots up, and than check if the cd-rom reads the cd you have putted. It may be that your cd-rom is crashed, or its head is a little dirty. You may try to cleans the head of your cd-rom, either manually, or with a clean disk. If again, the cd-rom doesn't read the cds you have putted, its better to get a new cd-rom.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cannot Boot [ 1 Answers ]

What's happening is that when I try to boot up, it goes into an infinate loop. It starts by showing the windows logo and begins making noise(for 10-15 seconds), then goes to an Intel logo, then shuts down and then shuts down and begins the start up again at the windows logo. What can I do to...

XP Boot [ 2 Answers ]

I can't load XP in normal mode and it only works in safe mode how. How do I correct da problem?

Boot linux from an external hard drive dual boot? [ 1 Answers ]

Can I boot linex from an external hard drive dual boot. How do I do it ?

PC won't boot [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, When trying to boot the following error displays:“lsass.exe could not be found". When booting from the repair disc, it hangs. Running Windows XP. Any suggestions? Thanks Thanks guys, I ended up doing a fresh format and install.

Won't boot from CD-R [ 9 Answers ]

My computer is a dell 5100 inspiron. It has a cd-r/w dvd-rom combo drive (HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4241N). I can't boot from a cd-r,regular cds are fine, also I get the same thing in windows. I did firmware update and bios update. I have run out of ideas. PLEASE HELP!!

View more questions Search