Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    freddy2007 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2007, 09:31 PM
    Can I be a police officer with a bad conduct discharge ?
    I'm currently awaiting for my dd 214, I got a bad conduct discharge and I was wondering if I could still become a police officer in las vegas,nv ?
    jasondbel Posts: 165, Reputation: -6

Nov 15, 2007, 12:58 AM
    Good question. Id like to know that answer as well.
    jasondbel Posts: 165, Reputation: -6

Nov 15, 2007, 12:58 AM
    How long did you serve for before being released?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2007, 05:53 AM
    Hello freddy:

I don't know about Vegas, but maybe in Podunk, Ar.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2007, 09:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by freddy2007
    im currently awaiting for my dd 214, i got a bad conduct discharge and i was wondering if i could still become a police officer in las vegas,nv ?

Certainly not in NY State. Not even if you manage to get the bad conduct discharged "wiped."
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 17, 2007, 09:59 AM
    Yes, in most areas it is not a POST state requirement, it may be a requirement for specific police departments, Since it is very recent, and since military service is so important to most police departments, it is just going to be very hard to find one that will hire you. Most likely you will find someone in a dept paying min wage or no benefits and the such.
    Forget bigger higher paying depts tillyou have many years of service somewhere else to prove your ability
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2007, 10:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Yes, in most areas it is not a POST state requirement, it may be a requirement for specific police departments, Since it is very recent, and since military service is so important to most police departments, it is just going to be very hard to find one that will hire you. Most likely you will find someone in a dept paying min wage or no benifits and the such.
    forget bigger higher paying depts tillyou have many years of service somewhere else to prove your ability

In some States a dishonorable discharge, depending on the reason, keeps you from getting a "carry permit" for a certain number of years which could certainly keep you out of a Police force.

My only suggestion would be to start as a security guard and then see where you can go from there.

In NYS you cannot get a Private Investigators' License with a dishonorable discharge on your record. I am also told you cannot be sworn into the Bar; perhaps the reason will be given as something else but you cannot pass the ethics interview under those circumstances.
    boomer1095 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2013, 09:56 PM
    It all depends on why you got the BCD

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bad conduct discharge [ 11 Answers ]

Is there any sight that tells a persons rights or lack there of ,after a bad conduct discharge,I got it when I was 19 ,admitted I was wrong and it was either admit it or they were going to fry me,id rather be free and a failure than locked up ,at that time. That was 17 years ago,Ive tried to get...

Bad conduct discharge [ 13 Answers ]

I received a bad conduct discharge from the Navy 15 years ago for AWOL, I served 6 months in the Brig, was reduced from E4 to E1, and loss of all benefits, can I have that upgraded in any way or get any benefits or shall I have to live with that mistake for the rest of my life. I didn't do drugs...

Can I get a military base pass with a Bad Conduct Discharge? [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering if having a BCD would prohibit me from getting a military base pass? My current job will involve me dealing with civilian contractors on several military bases. I will be sponsored by one of the companies currently doing business with the bases. I do not want to cause any...

Criminal charges that were hyped by a sworn police officer [ 3 Answers ]

I have been cgarged with felony assault/dang.weapon or substance,manufac/poss/deliver sch 11,possession of marijunana-sub offense,resisting legal or illlegal arrest.on 7/13/06 cameras of stop%shop were active and recorded the whole incident,the attorney generals office in providence,ri keeps...

Bad Conduct discharge [ 1 Answers ]

End

View more questions Search