Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KathyC121 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2007, 08:48 PM
    Dog wants to get up too early
    I have an 8 year old beagle who did not adjust her internal clock when we changed from day light savings time! She gets me up between 1 and 3 to go out which is OK because she is quick to do her business; however, she wants to get up and have her breakfast anywhere between 4 and 5. she will eat and go back to sleep but since I get up at 5:30 it is frustrating to have to get up earlier. I don't go back to bed if I only have half an hour or so. I have tried keeping her awake in the evening, and even feeding her supper later but that hasn't worked either. Any suggestions to get her to sleep later short of ignoring her? If you know beagles, they are whiners and once she starts I might as well get up because she won't let me sleep.
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2007, 08:52 PM
    Time for her doesn't change, unfortunately, she's not aware of it, just that she is accustomed to being able to do her business at certain times. I don't think you should ignore her, that may result in accidents and discomfort for her. Maybe you should let her wait a little longer every day until she's used to being let out at the new time.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2007, 09:01 PM
    Don't feed her until the time you want to get up. We have trouble with our old Lab waking up early from time to time. We may come down and settle her, or even let her out, but she doesn't get fed until after the alarm clock goes of.
    DogLover62 Posts: 34, Reputation: -1

Nov 20, 2007, 03:13 PM
    Um, lets see. Take her out at that time but when she wants to get up and eat don't get up, that might show her that its not time to eat. And get up a little earlier then usual soshe can eat and do her business before you leave. And she might also be bored at night so that might be why she wants you up, so buy her some toys or something like that.
    Now do not quote me on this. But I think it may wwork.

DogLover62

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Morgan dog - stuffed toy dog [ 19 Answers ]

I am looking for an older stuffed dog, a child's toy, that had a rubber squeaker in the nose,  We used to call it a "Morgan" dog,  it had big plactic eyes that had loose black centers,  any info on this toy would be nice.

Dog Is Scared of Brand New Dog House. Why? [ 3 Answers ]

I brought a brand new dog house for my chow chow. I put a pillow and his toy in the house. He would not go in. One day it started to rain, so I had to help him go inside the house to keep him safe from the rain. He stayed in there for a few seconds, came out and he never went back in. I felt sorry...

Dog refusing to eat dog food [ 3 Answers ]

My 8 year old German Shepard recently started refusing to eat her normal dry dog food. I'm nervous in the wake of all the pet food recalls. Her dog food is not listed on the recall list and does not contain wheat gluten. I have always let her self feed as she has always been good with how much she...

Dog who vomits early AM [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Daschund who is 3 yrs old. He has had vomiting issues before and Vet said it was sour stomach when he does not eat, but in the last week he has woke up very early vomiting, yellowish stuff . I leave him outside and he is out for a few minutes. Then OK. It seems if he eats later in the...

My dog is 2 years old and he will not eat his dried dog food! [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I have two dogs pal and buddy now buddy is 2 and pal is 8 I have had these dogs for there hole life and about a month ago we had to change there food now pal was fine with this she eats her food all at once so did buddy but once we put them back to there regular diet pal was fine and so...

View more questions Search