Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vbexpert Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2007, 04:44 PM
    1996 GMC / Chevy S10 Blazer Steering Wheel Removal
    I need to remove the steering wheel on a 1996 GMC S10 Blazer with tilt.

I am already familiar with disabling and removing the air bag, and removing the nut that holds the steering wheel to the column.

Chevy has a special puller to remove the wheel. My question is, can I use a generic puller to remove the steering wheel, or will I need to obtain the special chevy part?

Thanks,

Kelly
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 14, 2007, 06:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by vbexpert
    I need to remove the steering wheel on a 1996 GMC S10 Blazer with tilt.

I am already familiar with disabling and removing the air bag, and removing the nut that holds the steering wheel to the column.

Chevy has a special puller to remove the wheel. My question is, can I use a generic puller to remove the steering wheel, or will I need to obtain the special chevy part?

Thanks,

Kelly
    Believe it or not, you may be able to get away without that special puller!

I've successfully removed the steering wheel with leverage and judicious application of contact.

When all else has been disconnected, especially the air bag and further connections from the wheel to the column, tilt the column down if you can, and apply rearward pressure with a combonation of both legs, driving rearward, and as much upper body as you can safely provide with one arm, and provide sharp blows, with the other hand, rearward. And with any luck and the appropriate pounding, the wheel may come off. If after the first several attempts, the wheel doesn't come off, STOP! Go buy the puller.
    bgd78luv Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2012, 01:18 PM
    I just removed the steering wheel from my 1996 Chevy S10 pickup truck and used a puller bought from autozone!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1992 chevy s10 blazer [ 2 Answers ]

Where is the fuel pressure regulator on a 1992 s10 blazer, mine is running rough and the smell of fuel is very extreme, si suspect the diaphragm has gone bad and raw gas is leaking into the manifold but don't know where to find it.

2000 Chevy S10 No Heat [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 2000 Chevy S10 Pickup. It is blowing cold air from the heater. I was wondeing if anybody may know why it is blowing cold air.

Cub cadet steering wheel removal [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering if any one knew how to remove a steering wheel from a 1200 cub cadet. We are having problems getting it off. Please help

1954 chevy steering wheel and horn [ 1 Answers ]

Am trying to figure out the correct way to assemble the steering wheel and horn ring section on a 1954 chevy. I have a large steel (looks like a washer) and a clear plastic ring. Do these go in behind the steering wheel or under the orn ring between the horn ring and wheel? Can't find the answer...

Tilt-wheel steering wheel problem [ 1 Answers ]

On my 1998 Buick Park Ave the tilt-wheel will no longer change positions. A couple of days ago I got in the car, adjusted the steering wheel and heard something Pop. Since then, the steering wheel will only stay in that position. Does anyone know how I might go about fixing this problem? ...

View more questions Search