Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mylittlesunshyne Posts: 60, Reputation: 5

Nov 14, 2007, 03:11 PM
    Flood in the basement
    We had a flood a few times now, we put two pumps in each window downstairs. It seems to be working, would you suggest anything better?

The water would actually go down by the window and build up.
    Thanks a lot for your generous time.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2007, 03:25 PM
    You put the pumps in the window well, outside?

Try to figure out where the water is coming from.

Did the neighbor re-landscape and cause water to flow onto your property?

Are the gutters draining far enough from the building?

Are the gutters stopped up?

Is the dirt sloped away from the foundation?

Nov 14, 2007, 03:45 PM
    Forgive me for not being clear.

We have windows in the basement, and there's of course a small hole so that light comes in through the window, this hole goes up to the ground level, it's nt really a hole, more like steps. And the let the light in, win it rains, water gets in here, and eventually when it rains really hard, starts soaking through the window.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 14, 2007, 04:02 PM
    You may or may not have drain tiles around the perimeter of your house and to the window wells, do you know? If there is no tile you will need to dig a small sump pump pit for each well and have a pump in each well. The big fix would be to add drain tiles at the base of the footing, pretty big job.

Nov 14, 2007, 04:04 PM
    Ok! Thank you soo much!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2007, 05:20 PM
    A window well might also be the solution: Boman Kemp – Easy Well Basement Window Well Systems

PS
    What's a drain tile?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 14, 2007, 07:04 PM
    I said drain tile because most people do not know what a perimeter curtain drain actually is. This is the tile that is buried in gravel just below the basement floor. It connects to the sump pump pit to drain water from reaching the joint between the floor and the basement wall.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Humidifier causes flood? [ 2 Answers ]

Last night I turned the humidifier on for the first time on my new heating system (an entire new gas furnace and air conditioner was installed this summer and this is the first time I needed the humidifier). To do this, I simply turned the knob mounted on the return duct on my unit to about...

Flood Insurance [ 1 Answers ]

Are there companies that help with the paperwork that FEMA requires to prove that a house is not in a flood zone? If so, do you know the names or how to find them in the South FLorida area?

Flood her with kindness? [ 5 Answers ]

I got engaged a few weeks ago and I'm really excited! Unfortunately my fiance's sister has a problem with me and I am not quite sure how to handle the situation... See, we used to be friends, but now I can tell she is purposely trying to be rude to me. She won't come straight out and say rude...

N:vision flood lights- use in or out? [ 2 Answers ]

I was given a whole bunch of n:vision 65 watt "high quality flood" lights, still in their packages. I don't have much use for them in my house, but I could sure use them for my yard lights. How can one tell if they are suitable for outside use?

Flood Insurance [ 1 Answers ]

I was just informed that my mortgage company required me to have flood insurance. I was wondering if anyone know's what is the general fee more or less to get a elevation certificate. I just got a quote, just for flood was 2,800 not including the home insurance. I find it rather high. So I was told...

View more questions Search