Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chica8487 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2007, 03:04 PM
    The Wizard of Oz. suggestions?
    My High school is doing the Wizard of Oz for its yearly play, and I was hoping for some suggestions from people who have some experience from this play. I'm not the director, but I am going to be helping her with a lot of this stuff and we need suggestions on sets, costume ideas, things like that. We have a small stage and limited resources, so we're going to need to get creative. We are doing the RSC version. Anyone with any experience with this play, ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2007, 03:50 PM
    Do you have a fly gallery above the stage? Also, how far does your stage extend out from the front curtain? And, is the front of the stage curved or flat?

Nov 14, 2007, 07:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    Do you have a fly gallery above the stage? Also, how far does your stage extend out from the front curtain? And, is the front of the stage curved or flat?

Unfortunately, no fly gallery or anything like that, we are on a very low budget, as the drama club is sadly neglected in my school. The stage is rather small, and it is flat. Not too far, about 5 feet or so I'd say. Maybe less. We are planning on doing some stuff in front of the curtain to save on sets and time with set changes.
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2007, 08:36 PM
    Are you going to have a full pit orchestra for the music? I have played for this show where I played the organ, another person played piano and I think we also had a person playing a drum set. If you don't use a full pit orchestra, that could save you some on space and you also might even be able to utilize floor space in front of the stage for the acting.

Also, the music might be canned/recorded. A lot of professional theaters used canned music nowadays. But, that is mainly to save money for hiring musicians and also to keep the cost of insurance for the house (theater) at a more affordable rate.

In your case, using less or no musicians could possibly gain you some space.

Nov 14, 2007, 09:33 PM
    We don't have a space for a pit orchestra in front of our stage. Like I said, poor/cheap school.
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2007, 09:36 PM
    So, what will you be using for the music accompaniment?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wizard riding mower [ 2 Answers ]

Diagram for 1990 12 hp, 38" deck Wizard riding mower cutting belt replacement

Want to re-do the new hardware wizard [ 2 Answers ]

I incorrectly chose the automatic option rather than browse (have disk) option when the new hardware wizard popped up after attaching a device via a usb port. Now the device won't work. I now know what I should have done. How can I get back to that wizard for this device that my computer thinks...

Winxp network wizard [ 3 Answers ]

I need some help I used the xp network wizard to make a network in the office I work in. I started the network so that two people could share printers. I created a network setup disk and installed that on a laptop using windows ME. Everything was OK but when I try to view the computers on the...

Accessibility wizard [ 1 Answers ]

When trying to download some things I get the warning "cannot load file trouble with opening accessibilty wizard" What does this mean and how can I fix it? Thank you Jeanie

View more questions Search