Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jun 2, 2006, 09:52 PM
    Comments on this post
    Orange agrees: Thanks, yeah that's a great idea actually. I have thought of turning some of my nightmares into short stories, which would be kind of cool!
    That is a very smart idea... I like it.
    It takes on a different power to us, to see it written out as the story.
    I have found a path to what some would call "Shadow work" doing that very thing, telling myself "my story", to see it from a completely different perspective.

Very cool, Chava! :)
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jun 3, 2006, 09:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jurplesman
    The real solution is the Hypoglycemic Diet. In the meantime try Glycerine.
    Jur... your site is very interesting and informative. I do agree that we should also look at essential vitamins and minerals in our diet, and that there are a lot of chemicals that we react negatively to. It takes time and a lot of study of one's own body to be able to understand and help ourselves.

There is help out there, but I also maintain that since we know our body better than any physician that meets us and 'thinks' they have the answer within less than an hour, it's up to us to identify the problem and seek the appropriate help.

We often choose the 'shortcut' and wrongly trust someone else to find a 'cure' when we can achieve it by further study of our own 'beings'.

It would be nice to find a source for grape extract in Europe.. so, if you can suggest a source that would be very helpful.

I plan on sharing the Hypoglycemic website with some German Psychologists and my own GP, hoping that this will help them do a re-check on their attitude toward alternatives to antidepressants.

Thanks again, and all my best wishes to you and yours.

My friends in the Homeopathic Society, here in Germany, also agree with you and what the Safe Harbor conveys.
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2006, 09:51 AM
    I agree with you once again Chery, haha. It's not that I disagree with you or the site, Jur, but as Chery says, I know my own body and my mind better than anyone else. I don't think there is one specific cure for every single person who has PTSD, or any other illness for that matter. I believe that diet and supplements are very important for your overall health and sense of well-being, but not the total answer. Actually, I personally found cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT) to be the most helpful for my PTSD... it relieved about 90% of my symptoms, and has helped me to think more positively and rationally about my life (I used to see danger everywhere).

PTSD does sometimes respond well to SSRIs, indicating is is related to depression.
    Yes PTSD sometimes does respond to SSRIs, but not in my case. And SSRIs are used for other things besides depression, just like neuroleptics, for example, are used for both depressive illnesses and epilepsy, and prednisone is used for asthma and cancer, etc, etc. But you wouldn't say that because asthma responds to prednisone that it is a type of cancer. Many drugs have many different uses. I still maintain that PTSD is not a depressive illness. It's an anxiety disorder brought on by traumatic events, not the same as depression at all. I had no symptoms before my traumatic experience, and I didn't suffer from depression, either. However, my sister's friend, who has what the doctors call psychotic depression, developed it for no apparent reason. She had no bad experiences, and has a wonderful family who loves her. I have a hard time thinking that our illnesses are closely related, when hers appears to be organic and mine is situational.

However I do agree that alternative therapies are very important. Doctors are too quick to prescribe pills. I will read your website thoroughly. Thanks for your suggestions and help.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jun 4, 2006, 04:26 AM
    Someone once said "when the only solution in your toolbox is a hammer, you tend to see all problems as a nail" comes to mind just now.

I have specifically orchestrated taking a multiple approach to my recovery from ptsd, discovering what works and doesn't work. As it stands, it is not cured in me regardless of trying many different things including nutrition. Scratch my surface anytime and there it is - always.

I am however mindful now of the kind and wise words my doctor said when she first told me of the ptsd diagnosis... "that although all indications are that you have it for life, bear in mind that 100% remission is a good as a cure!"

I liked that.
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2006, 11:14 AM
    Yes taking a multiple approach is very wise, not just with PTSD, but also with allergies and asthma (which I also have). I like what your doctor said too, Val... that's awesome! I tried to give you some rep but must spread it around again. Anyway thanks for your contributions to this thread!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Chronic Bad Breath [ 7 Answers ]

Does anyone know what can be used for chronic bad breath? Is there an operation that can be performed or a special mouthwash?

Chronic Crushes [ 5 Answers ]

I've been in a relationship with a wonderful person for almost 4 years now. I love him dearly and would never jeopardize what we have. The most annoying thing is that I have found myself having crushes, the most recent of which has got me thinking about the relationship. This new crush is not a...

View more questions Search