Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mountain_man Posts: 269, Reputation: 45

Nov 14, 2007, 02:19 PM
    Slow drains
    Pretty much every drain in my house is running slow or backs-up. Is there a central problem with the drainage or should I tackle each situation idependantly?
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2007, 03:54 PM
    Do you have a septic tank? It may need to be pumped out, drains will generally drain slowly and then maybe a day or 2 later start to back up, and that means your tank is FULL.

If it's not a septic tank problem, then I am guessing that it is a central problem, since it's all of them, but I wouldn't know where to start.

Good luck with your plumbing troubles!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 14, 2007, 03:59 PM
    If the entire house has a problem it is likely the main drain going out to the city sewer or septic. Do not start taking each drain apart, you'lll waste your time and energy. There is usually a clean out in the verticle stack in the basement. If you open it and there is not standing water the clog is prior to the stack further back in the house plumbing. If there is stand water in the stack the clog is between you and the city sewer riser and you should rod from this location. A 3" cutter would be a good start with the snake. Let us know what you find and maybe we can be of further assistance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet Drains slow [ 24 Answers ]

A few days ago my toilet started draining slow. When I flush, the toilet fills up, and then slowly drains. To get solid matter to go down I have to flush 3-5 times. I first tried a plunger, which did not work. I then tried a closet auger, which did not work. So, I disconnected the toilet and...

Slow drains [ 1 Answers ]

You've heard this one before - drains are slow, but I've got a twist. All the drains are slow: tub, sink, toilet... I can plung and they are fine for a week or so then slow again. I don't think it's roots, plunging shouldn't make a difference if that's the case. I used chemicals, same results. I've...

Slow drains [ 1 Answers ]

Being from TX with the recent heavy rains I have noticed our drains are now running slower that usual, we are on a septic system. Is this indicative of more serious problems or related to the recent high ground saturation?

Plumming Slow drains [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought my first house and all my drains tub, 2 toilets, a shower, and my washer downstairs in my basement takes a while to drain. The house was built in 1925.

Bathtub drains slow or not at all [ 9 Answers ]

My bathtub has been slow, very slow, on and off for years. Sometimes drain cleaner helps but most times it doesn't. We actually keep a plunger in the bathroom and my daughter now showers on a step stool! After furiously plunging for hours today I finally searched for the source. I found a drum trap...

View more questions Search