Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    That Kelly Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2007, 01:51 PM
    Get rid of old, brittle coating on foundation without disturbing mold
    After removing drywall, studs, & insulation in preparation for a basement waterproofing service, I discovered some mold on the red brick foundation. There also is a coating of some kind that is very brittle & crumbly, and it looked like mold was growing behind some of the bubbled out sections. I don't know what the existing coating is, but I plan on putting a new one on using Drylock. I am going to use bleach to clean the areas affected by mold. My question is how do I get the existing coating off, or can I just put the Drylock over it? I'm afraid if I scrape it off I will break bricks and disturb mold already growing.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2007, 05:06 PM
    It may not be mold, but rather effervesence. It's usually associated with concrete. Sometimes it looks fluffy. You can't really break bricks.

But when you read the dryloc directions, it says to ETCH the brick with either dryloc's powder you mix with water or muratic acid ( dilute hydrochloric acid).

If you don't do the etch and remove the loose paint, the new paint has no chance at all to stick. The etch will remove the "mold". I don't think it's mold. Can you post a picture? Use the "Go advanced" button to do so.

It's a nasty process to do and you have to be careful, so it's advised to search for the MSDS of either muratic acid or dryloc's powdered itch. Gloves, safety glasses and ventilation are strongly advised. If you need the name, I'll go look at a bottle.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Brittle hair ! [ 2 Answers ]

My hair is brittle on top only, could this be genetic because I saw my mother's hair is also like that. Also how do take good care of very long hair?

Coating on eggs [ 1 Answers ]

Some eggs come with this cosmetic coating. I am wondering if it is safe... Sometimes I boil eggs too long and it cracks. I am worried that the chemicals from the coating leeches into the ediable part.

Brittle Dry Hair [ 1 Answers ]

Im Dark Haired And Fancyed A Change To Blond A Friend Who Is Also Dark But Bleaches Her Hair Did Mine It Went Ginger But The Roots Were Lilly White It Was A Desaster So I Dyed It Back To Brown Ever Since My Hair Is Brittle Dry And Dull This Was 7 Munths Ago. Any Suggestions To Get My Hair Back...

Powder Coating [ 3 Answers ]

I am installing solid iron gates at a home a few hundred feet from a (brakish water) river in Florida. I had the gates powder coated and requested a satin or (at the most) a semi-gloss finish of about 15% to 30% gloss. Instead, the power coater did the gates in a high gloss. He claims that...

View more questions Search