Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PandaBEAR101 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2007, 10:29 AM
    Extremely Dry Skin
    I really need some help. I've suffered from unusually dry skin most of my life, but this year has been the absolute worst. Even during the humid warm days of summer my skin was peeling and flaking. Now that it's getting colder outside I feel like I'm in a losing battle. I take quick warm (not hot) showers and apply lotion all over as soon as I get out. An hour later, I go to use the restroom and pull down my pants and it's like its snowing, my skin has dried out and is flaking off already. I've tried vaseline, baby oil, olive oil, and every lotion and cream I could get my hands on, but nothing is working. The skin on my legs and arms are the worst. Sometimes my skin will crack open and bleed, but usually it just looks like a severe case of dandruff all over my body. My skin feels very tight and itches. Shaving my legs is my most hated chore now, when I'm finished my legs itch and hurt so much. This is taking a huge toll on my confidence, I won't even let my husband see me naked anymore. Is there any one else out there with this problem? Should I see a doctor or will he just tell me this is something I will just have to live with?
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2007, 11:10 AM
    I would see a doctor maybe he can prescribe you a lotion or a medication to help you, I'm sure he will at least have advice for you or something that can help at least a little. Especially with the cracking and bleeding there may be an underlying cause your doctor can determine. Hope you feel better soon!
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Nov 15, 2007, 05:28 PM
    Yes, you should see a dermatologist. There's a lot of factors that causes dry skin, such as changes in the weather, harsh chemicals in soaps or detergents, and heaters and air conditioning. Also, a skin condition like eczema or even genetics can play a role in development of dry skin. It seems to me that your dry skin is due to a genetic condition, but only a dermatologist can determine the cause of it. So make an appointment to see a dermatologist. In the mean time, apply a moisturizer regularly. I recommend using a moisturizer called Eucerin. This will help to heal and protect your dry skin.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Skin is dry [ 2 Answers ]

My skin is dry I don't have any moisturizer.. what kind of moisturizer do I need to moisturize my face?and I have a pimples too.. I don't want to use moisturizer that that can ad up to my pimples.. please and thank u

Dry skin [ 1 Answers ]

What can be done, for extremely dry skin, on my husbands legs? He has tried baby oil, but that isn't helping. His legs are sore, and red, with a rash.

Dry Skin! [ 5 Answers ]

My skin is SO dry. I can put moisturizer and moisturizer and it will never be moisturized, it always is very dry and flaky. Plus, I have a pale and uneven complexion so I like to wear foundation to even it out. I can never find a good foundation that will work well with my dry skin. It always...

Extremely Dry Skin [ 3 Answers ]

Ever since I was little I have been plagued with severe dry skin. Everyday after showering, I have to apply lotion or my skin gets so dry it will literally crack open and bleed, it looks a lot like the dry cracked up ground in a desert. During the summer, its not so bad and I have found a lotion...

Dry Skin [ 2 Answers ]

I have an older female Dachsund and her skin tends to get extremely dry. What product would work to help keep her skin normal or what product should she take to help this problem. :)

View more questions Search