Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Nov 14, 2007, 07:49 AM
    Scorpion stings and donating
    Okay so I was walking down the hall this morning minding my own when I stepped on a scorpion. (No idea where it came from! Our house is so clean you think I'd of seen it, except the lights were off. Anyway.) Well as you can probably guess the dumb thing stung me (for anyone who's never been stung before it HURTS) I don't think it was a really poisonious one because I live in Georgia and even so it was smaller the swelling has gone down (still hurts though) but I'm supposed to donate blood today.
    Can I still donate blood? I only ask because I'm not sure if they're like bees where some people react different to them and I don't want to kill anyone who's already sick.
    Any ideas would be great. :)
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2007, 09:01 AM
    I would not donate blood until I went to my doctor and explained this and IF he/she told me it was allright to donate blood, then I would. You need to be careful, not just for your sake but for the sake of anyone who might receive your blood. While it is true that not all scorpions are poisonous, it is the wisest move to check first, donate blood later.

What did the scorpion look like? Did you kill it? Here is a picture of a non poisonous scorpion commonly found in the southern states: http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/STRIPE~1.gif
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Nov 14, 2007, 09:34 AM
    Didn't look to close at it. I yelped and my mom came up and she killed it with a shoe. She still has it though. I think that she wants to prove that our house has stuff in it no matter how clean :-)
    I looked it up and I found that you're supposed to wait a day after being stung by a bee so it's probably something like that. I'll ask anyway.
    Thanks for the advice.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2007, 12:18 PM
    Most welcome. You are right, no matter how squeaky clean a place is, something still can come in.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Scorpion Life Span [ 4 Answers ]

Could anyone tell me what the life span of a large scorpion is? My sister has had one for a year and a half and mentioned it is really slowing down and doesn't have an appetite anymore. Is it possible it is slowing down because it is becoming winter?

Long term effects of donating plasma [ 7 Answers ]

I have been donating plasma since 1991 every two weeks straight, missing one full year in 1995. I have concerns and have been searching the web, but, have not found any clear straight forward answers regarding the "longterm effects on donating plasma" on a continual basis. (long term effects...

Tax Advantages for small businesses donating to a 501C3 charity? [ 2 Answers ]

What tax advantages are gained by an individual or small business making a donation to a 501C3 non-profit organization? Thanks Ken

Donating hearing ades [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to donate my late husband's hearing aides . Is there an organization that will Take them? Willowdale

Donating plasma [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I've been donating plasma for 3 years and now my left arm is starting to become numb if I lean on it too long. I'm not having problems with my other arm which may be because I only donate with my left arm. My question is... is my left arm becoming numb because of the donating?

View more questions Search