Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GGentry Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2007, 09:28 PM
    Execution of judgment?
    I live in NC and a lawyers office representing a credit card company rec'd a judgment against me a couple of weeks ago for $5000.00 and now they are threatening to get an execution of judgment against me and have the sheriff's office get involved! I'm currently separated (though no legal paperwork has been filed) and out of work disabled (I'm going through the appeal process with the social security admin for benefits), I tried to make pymt arrangements but they want 4 times what I can pay a month! I'm scared and don't know what to do! Can the sheriff's office come into my home and just take stuff like vehicles etc like they said?? They also said that they can take anything that belongs to my husband too even though his name wasn't on the account, is this true as well?? I've tried consumer credit counseling and they can do nothing about this and they want more $ for monthly payments for my other creditors that I even get in support! Can filing chapter 13 prevent them from doing this?? Somebody help me please!!
    nikkitoney61 Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2007, 05:42 PM
    Your story sound a lot like mine. I have been told several things but do not understand any of it. I will look forward to the advice that you are given.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2007, 07:47 AM
    Once you start receiving SSI mail this to the attorney and give a copy to your bank.

Safe from Garnishment

Federal law makes Social Security benefits exempt from levy, garnishment, and assignment- 42 USC 407(a) states. "In general the right of any future payments under this sub chapter SHALL NOT be Transferable or assignable. AND NONE of the moneys paid or payable or rights existing under this subchapter shall be subject to execution, levey, attachment, garnishment, or other legal process, or to the operation of any bankruptcy or insolvency law".

This means that even if a creditor or debt attorney, collection agency has a judgement against you they CAN NOT garnish your SS payments nor can they take the money from you after it has been paid to you; for example, the portion of your bank account that is attributable to your SS benefits is EXEMPT from LEVY OR ATTACHMENT

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Writ of execution [ 2 Answers ]

Collection agency for a credit card sued and won the judgement. Writ of execution has been filed. Do not own any type of property and house is a rental. Question is: can my vehicle be taken away even though I don't own it, it is financed, the lienholder has the title. I understand about where...

Writ of Execution [ 15 Answers ]

I have a small claims that went into a default judgement. A friend of mine was sueing me for $400.00... and at the end since I missed the court date I ended up owing him $1674.64. Ok so there was a default judgement placed. I received a letter from the Sheriff regarding the Writ to Execute. So I...

Writ of Execution [ 3 Answers ]

I have a question -- We had a judgment issued on my husband & I & had our bank account frozen back in April of this year. They took the $ in there & then we made payment arrangements w/them to pay off the remaining judgment. We came into financial hardships again & could not pay the monthly...

Execution [ 2 Answers ]

I have a redhat 7.3 linux box with cobol 4.1 installed. I upgraded to redhat linux 9.0. When I try to install cobol license manager it gives error rts32 error 114 while executing the command. The compiler works but one cannot execute programs :(

View more questions Search