Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ttara81 Posts: 161, Reputation: 9

Nov 13, 2007, 09:13 PM
    Flour Clumps when I make gravy.
    I make a lot of homemade gravy. But when I add flour to it, it clumps up. I find myself trying to smush all the little clumps of flour. Am I doing something wrong?
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2007, 09:31 PM
    Did you sift the flour first?

If you dump it in at once, it'll clump too.

Put it in slowly and whisk the whole time to avoid clumps.

Nov 13, 2007, 09:40 PM
    No I never sift flour... why do you do that? I just add a little at a time and constantly stir while I'm adding...
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2007, 09:42 PM
    I sift flour to eliminate the clumps of flour that just happen in the bag.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2007, 10:08 PM
    Use a regular spoon to add it to the pan, sprinkling it in and whisking the whole time. If you dump a spoonful in all at once, it is more likely to clump. The whisking is also important - quickly and firmly, but most importantly - continuously!

Nov 13, 2007, 10:39 PM
    Comment on jillianleab's post
    Thanks!!

Nov 13, 2007, 10:41 PM
    Thanks to you all for your help! Charlotte, I tried to rate your answer by saying thanks, but it said I needed to spread some reputation before I could do that... whatever that means... but anyway... thanks to you two!!
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2007, 10:44 PM
    XD that's okay. Good luck making your gravy!
    123nelli321 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2007, 11:27 PM
    If you dump it in all at once you get clumps try mixing you flour with your liquid and disolving the flour first
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2007, 12:43 AM
    Isn't there something about doing this also in cold water before it is heated? Or, is that more having to do with the pre-packaged gravies?
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2007, 07:35 AM
    The real key is to add the flour in slowly and use the "right tools" a metal whisk, this will always breaks up the flour bits.
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2007, 04:09 PM
    ttara81 agrees: someone else told me that too, but I don't know which temp to use... they just said it may have something to do with the temp of the water... hmmmm...
    I was just told that the water needed to be cold when putting in the ingredients into the water for the gravy. It did seem to help, though. Before that, I had been heating the water first before putting in the ingredients.

Nov 14, 2007, 04:55 PM
    Clough, I, too have been heating the ingredients up... thanks for the info!! My gravy should be off the hook next time since I've got all these helpful tips!. don't you want some?. lol...
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 14, 2007, 05:04 PM
    Okay this is what I do and it works WONDERS!!

I take a little cold water, usually about a cup, and put it in a jar, put the amount of flour needed into the cold water, put the top on the jar and shake shake shake, then you can pour it slowly into the remaining ingredients and voilą beautiful gravy!!

Nov 14, 2007, 05:42 PM
    WOW J_9... why didn't I think of that?. gravy on Thanksgiving will be a success!! Thanks so much you!!
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2007, 09:01 PM
    The only negative thing I can think about, concerning mixing the cold water with the flour, is that you would miss out on making a great roux. But if that is not a concern, then for practical purposes, the other suggestions work great. I use cornstarch and cold water to make gravy, since I cannot use wheat flour.
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2007, 09:45 PM
    When you use cornstarch, how do you know how much to put in? I'm a great one for "clumping" up the gravy because I have used way too much cornstarch!
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2007, 06:21 AM
    I use the cornstarch in the cold water to premix, then add to the pan. I start with two tablespoons of cornstarch with the cold water, adding broth gradually so it does not get clumped up or too runny. Still gets a good pan flavor. Sometimes I just make some broth, about 2 cups, heat that, then take the cornstarch/cold water mix and whisk in until smooth.

Nov 23, 2007, 10:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    I take a little cold water, usually about a cup, and put it in a jar, put the amount of flour needed into the cold water, put the top on the jar and shake shake shake, then you can pour it slowly into the remaining ingredients and voila beautiful gravy!!!
    I just wanted to touch base will you since I made some awesome gravy yesterday for the Thanksgiving dinner. I used J_9's suggestion and put my water and flour in a jar and shook it up really good... then I added it to the broth and giblets in the pan... and I had wonderful results!! The gravy did not clump at all, since that issue was resolved by shaking the jar... and I only used a spoon to stir the gravy while cooking... I don't think the wire whisk was necessary... oh the gravy was sooo good and I didn't have to stand there trying to smoosh all the little clumps of flour... this method was so effortless!!

Thanks to you all for your suggestions!! :D ;) ;) :D
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 23, 2007, 10:33 AM
    Glad to hear my suggestion worked. It was just a nifty little tidbit passed down to me from my grandmother many moons ago. This was what she did some 60 years ago and I have carried the tradition.

It's just easy. Don't need any brain power for this one, LOL.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My hair is falling out by the root in clumps! [ 3 Answers ]

I've read lots of information about hair falling out and I realize there could be a lot of causes. I am allergic to wheat (but I have been for over 10 years), I do dye my hair (but have been for 30 years and it's very healthy), and I have started menopause (but no real bad symptroms yet). The thing...

Flour [ 3 Answers ]

What is the difference between plain flour and self-raising flour?

Is it Plain Flour or SR Flour? [ 2 Answers ]

I have some flour stored in an unnamed container. Is there some way to tell if it if SR Flour or Plain Flour apart from cooking with it?

Flour [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find out which is the best flour to use in America that would be the same as English Plain and Self Raising flours. Thanks Gina

Making Gravy [ 2 Answers ]

How to make the best gravy?

View more questions Search