Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bayviewtom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2007, 08:02 PM
    Foul odour form water heater
    I was told that the anode rod in the water heater (ours is electric) may need replacing. There is a sulphur-like smeel coming from the water heater storage area.
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2007, 09:11 PM
    Does the water smell bad? Is the odor only in the storage room?
    desgrunner Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2007, 04:08 PM
    Are you on municipal (city) water? Pending the age of the water heater (gas or electric) this anode issue could be true if the water (hot) smells) What else is in your storage room? A dead rodent (mouse), old mops, clothes, wet newspaper material, high humidity can create unpleasant odors also. Hope it helps!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 16, 2007, 06:13 PM
    Both posters are correct and we are getting down to the point. A bad anode may make the hot water smell but that water is inside you tank, you won't smell it in the room. Go to the other end of the house with two pans/buckets. Fill one bucket up with hot and one with cold, if the anode is bad only the hot will smell.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need help deciding between a tank or tankless water heater [ 19 Answers ]

Which one saves me money; the tankless water heater or conventional tank water heater? :confused:

Well water with really foul smell [ 1 Answers ]

I have a well with a Fleck 5600 water softener and Fleck 5600 carbon filter. The carbon filter has a chlorine tank for cleaning. Recently the carbon tank timer "had its issues" and was out of business for a week or two and not able to clean the carbon. I replaced the brine valve piston and...

Foul tasting water after new plumbing installed [ 5 Answers ]

I remodeled my kitchen a few months ago. Since I was going to have the water off in the kitchen for sometime, and I didn't have shut off valves at my kitchen sink, my son installed one for the hot water and one for the cold. After the water was turned back on, the water tastes foul. I had...

Kenmore Coldspote dispenses foul tasting water [ 1 Answers ]

The water from my Kenmore Coldspot side-by-side refrigerator tastes and smells like mildew. I used a pipe cleaner to clean the spout (which was pretty nasty) but it didn't help. After the water runs for a bit, the water is fine. But the next day, the water tastes and smells like mildew again. ...

Hot water odour [ 1 Answers ]

What is the purpose of the dip rod? If I remove it what difference does it make? The well water is reacting with the dip rod and the smell is disgusting. The tank is 10 months old and the plumber already sold me a replacement aluminim rod to replace the magnesium one that comes with a new tank. ...

View more questions Search