Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mighty joe young Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2007, 07:57 PM
    Choosing the right valve
    I am replacing my toilet tank. Sounded easy enough until I tried unsuccessfully to completely close the shut off valve under the toilet. Rather than attempt to replace the valve,(I am an inexperienced d.i.y. where plumbing is concerned), I am thinking about shutting off the main water line,& proceeding as planned. The main is located in the basement, and the toilet in question is on the 1st floor. Do I turn the main off first, and then open a faucet to relieve pressure or in reverse order? Does it matter which faucet or faucets I open? My house is over 50 years old. What are the chances of my damaging the main shut off valve and last would it better to get a little wet,& NOT go near the main shut
    Off? I really am not paranoid but just overly cautious, and a little nervous.
    tommytman Posts: 153, Reputation: 2

Nov 13, 2007, 08:04 PM
    OK, Does you main shut off valve work?? Sometimes those old valves get stuck. I'm guessing it's a gate valve... What kind of valve is it? If you can't turn it by hand try to turn it gently with a pipe wrench to loosen it up.

If you get it closed off then you are set. Disconect you olt toilet tank hose and let it drain to a bucket.

I would recommend getting that valve fixed at some point. I've never had luck replacing gaskets in angle stops.
    mighty joe young Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2007, 12:49 PM
    Comment on tommytman's post
    Thanks for the quick reply.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Name choosing [ 3 Answers ]

I need boys names and girls that would suit a last name Wilkie

Water Pressure Valve and Ball Valve [ 1 Answers ]

My plumber told me my water pressure is too high and is ruining my fixtures. Apparently my house is old and does not have these. Is installing these valves something I can do myself? The plumber wants to charge me $500.00. If so, where can I get directions? Help.

Gas valve noise on main valve engagement [ 1 Answers ]

I have a carrier 58gs100ga furnace with a white rodgers 36e93 gas valve. The main gas valve solenoid chatters or rattles for a split second before it stays engaged after the pilot is proved. I just replace the spark/lock out board and the fan board for a different problem. This chatter is...

Choosing a router. [ 3 Answers ]

Can anybody recommend a good wired router for my home network? I have 3 PCs, 2 WIN XP SP2, 1 WIN 98SE. I also have a Speedstream 5100 DSL modem. I'm thinking maybe firewalled for extra security. So far I've put my eye on the Linksys BEFSX41. ANY suggestions are apreciated. Thank you!! :)

View more questions Search