Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2007, 05:11 PM
    Parvo/Distemper Shot Reaction in Pup
    Okay so here's the story... I found a very young, stray pup at our house this morning which looked to be a great pyrenees mix of some sort. I noticed that she had tapeworms so I decided to take her to the vet to be de-wormed and have her first set of parvo/distemper shots(don't want her to have to go through parvo). Anyway, I wasn't sure how old she was but I knew she was very young... the vet estimated her at 6 weeks old and went through with the shots. Now, about 3 hours later, she is doing a lot of trembling and walking very wobbly. I thought that she might just be cold or nervous but when she laid down on her side to rest I noticed that she was still shaking and drooling more than usual. I'm very worried that she might have been too young for the shots; the trembling just doesn't look normal. Any input or advice? Labman... Ruby?
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2007, 05:13 PM
    Sorry I have a bit more info to add... my hub just came back from observing her while he took her outside and he said that she def. isn't acting normal. He said she was panting, shaking, and seemed uncoordinated. I feel awful!
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2007, 05:26 PM
    Call the vet they should have an emergency number if the office is closed. I am sorry I can't be of more help.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2007, 06:44 PM
    Yes, call the vet. My vet's regular number forwards to a paging service after hours.

Such reactions are rare, but not unknown. With a stray, who knows what else it might be. Thank you for taking the dog in.
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2007, 10:07 PM
    I called my vet and was told that the pup could be experiencing symptoms of the illnesses the vaccine is suppose to protect from; he said this is normal in young pups and toy breeds but to watch the pup closely. The little gal is acting better now... playing, sleeping normal, eating, drinking, and shaking less. My theory is that is was a mix of stress and medications... hopefully she will be okay in the morning. Good news, my hubs is going to take her to work and have her become the "shop" dog!
    Thanks bushg and Labdude! ;)
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2007, 09:46 AM
    Rank, sorry I wasn't around yesterday evening. But, you were in good hands above. I am glad she is doing better. Always, when in doubt, call the vet. They are usually very nice and understanding about stuff like that.

Have you tried to find out where the dog came from? Is it possible someone is looking for her?
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2007, 10:09 AM
    Okay guys... more news and I'm very scared. The pup stayed in our bathroom last night and was just fine... I got up this morning to dry my hair and realized that the puppy starting shaking again, seizure like, and foaming at the mouth. After the shaking stopped he starting fumbling around running into the walls and then started barking non-stop... does this sound like rabies? I'm 7 weeks pregnant, the pup scratched me a little bit yesterday and I'm very afraid. I'm waiting on my hubs to get home so that the pup can be taken to the vet and tested... let me know what you guys think!
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2007, 10:23 AM
    Rank, call the vet now. Tell him what is ocurring and what your worry is. I am inclined to think it has to do with the shots yesterday rather than rabies. But, I am not an expert in this kind of thing. It may be that the dog got loose from someone's home and already had been given his shots and he is reacting to an "overdose" of vaccinations. Is he drinking water? Make sure he is drinking water. The more quick this can get flushed out of his system the better. Whatever is happening, I wouldn't wait until the end of the day to get him to the vet. If when you call him, he tells you to get the pup into his office, you need to find someone to give you a ride or call a cab, if your husband can't get home immediately.
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2007, 10:27 AM
    Thanks Ruby... I sure hope it's not rabies... for her sake and mine! Yes, she is drinking water... I will make sure she continues with this. I am going to call the vet as soon as I get a break from work which is in about 30min!
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2007, 10:32 AM
    Well, I truly wish you didn't have to wait so long to call the vet. This reaction calls for an immediate medical evaluation. Although I am very purplexed as to what made you decide to get the dog shots so quickly upon finding it without ensuring that someone wasn't looking for their lost dog first, it doesn't really matter at the moment. He needs to get to the vet.
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2007, 10:48 AM
    Well, I've had a pup with Parvo about a year ago and I know that virus that linger around for ages and I would hate for the pup to contract that... I highly doubt it was someone else's because it was starving, skinny, muddy, and stressed. The vet knew these circumstances and decided that the vaccination would be the best for the pup. Anyway, I'm going on break a bit early and calling the vet now! :)
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2007, 10:51 AM
    Please let us know what happens. I am very worried.
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2007, 11:05 AM
    Okay, called my vet. He wants her in ASAP... I'm at work... Hubs still at work... but I've contacted my sister who has agreed to take pup in! I will keep everyone updated.
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2007, 09:10 PM
    It's been a long day... sis took pup to the vet and it turned out for the worse. I'm sorry to say that the vet thought it would be best to put the pup to sleep :( He said that the seizures just weren't normal at all and were not vaccination related. He also tested her blood sugar just in case and everything was in balance. Since the was the case he put her down... he stated that she wouldn't make it too terribly much longer anyway. He mentioned that the probability of her having rabies was low but is going to send her remains to the state to be tested anyway... safe then sorry. Having to have her remains tested for that just makes me sick. :( :( :( I tried guys...
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2007, 04:56 AM
    Rank, I am very sorry to hear this news. Last night I was thinking maybe the dog had distemper. I am not sure if I fully accept your vets dismissal of the shots. If the dog was underweight, had been given a set of shots very recently prior to your finding her, or had allergies, the shots could have wreaked havoc with her system. I guess it is better that now she is no longer in distress. This is very sad.

If you should happen to find a dog again, prior to getting it vetted, you should wait at least a day or two to make sure that he/she isn't lost and that the owners haven't been looking for it. Puppies can lose weight pretty quickly in a matter of a couple of days if they haven't eaten, and they can get filthy within a matter of minutes. Doing this might spare you the heartache. You can always come here to this site when you first find a dog. You know that there are enough people here that are willing to help guide you as to what you should do.
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2007, 01:19 PM
    Thanks Ruby... it is very sad. I wish it were me who was able to take her to the vet because I would've at least asked for the dog to be watched for a couple of days before putting her to sleep. At least she's in a better place now :( Thanks for all of you guys support and help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My dog in lithargic after her distemper shot [ 1 Answers ]

My 6 month old cockerspaniel has just had her distemper shot 3 days ago. She is acting very lethargic lately. Is this normal?

Second parvo shot can it wait? [ 3 Answers ]

So my puppy has had his first shots. This weekend he got injured and it took all my extra money to get him fixed. His second Parvo shot is supposed to be today. Will it hurt him if I make him wait an extra two weeks or will that null and void the first shot?

Distemper shot [ 4 Answers ]

My dog recently received her distemper booster shot. She is 9 years old. She is now experiencing fluid in her abdomen/chest and is on vasculitis meds, antibiotics and has had her abdomen drained twice. Her symptoms of difficulty breathing began 1 week after her shot. Is there any chance they...

Distempber Shot Reaction [ 5 Answers ]

Our 1 1/2 year olf Aussie Terrier got a distemper shot two days ago. She ate OK yesterday and all "bodily functions" seem normal. However, her ears and tail are not up and she just wants to stay in her kennel. She ever shys away from us. Any clue what is going oin or do we just wait it out. ...

Just brought parvo pup home from treatment, can she get it again? [ 2 Answers ]

I've bleached and soaked and washed and everything you can do. But I'm still freaking out. I just brought my pup home from the vet yesterday. She is doing wonderful! But I'm just nervous if she will be able to contract the virus very easily? I also just read that once your pup has parvo and...

View more questions Search