Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eagle-driver Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2007, 03:08 PM
    Testing Voltage Output Through Different Water Mediums
    My son has chosen a science fair project wanting to test the affect of water containing different substances (tap, salt, baking soda, etc) on voltage output. I'm too ignorant on elctrical current flows (other than water and electricity don't play well together) to advise him. Can anyone give me some advice on how we could possibly set this up or should he scrap the idea before I end up on the top ten list of how to improve the human gene pool?

Thanks,

Eagle-Driver
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2007, 04:17 PM
    2 ways come to mind. Both include using 2 pieces of #12(20 amp electrical wire)Solid, or romex? Attach to container, with both having 6" of wire in solution, try all three.
    You could use an Ohm meter(Multimeter on ohm scale)and check the resistance of each solution. Start on Highest ohm scale. You will be measuring Resistance. And current will be flowing through solution.
    Another way, would be a battery, go through the water and back out. Now you will be measuring voltage.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2007, 04:51 PM
    One other way is to choose two different electrodes and effectively make a battery with the solution as an electrolyte. If memory serves me well you can make a battery with a lemon and zinc electrode. The chemistry of this is long forgotten.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2007, 03:54 AM
    This shows what I believe you are working on:
    Water conductivity - Science at Home

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mediums [ 14 Answers ]

I am very interested in the work of John Edwards and James VanPraagh.Does anyone know of other Mediums that are available for private reading?Mainly want someone who communicates with the Other side.Thanks for any help.

Low voltage, 35, 68 volts, testing Circuit - STRANGE! [ 15 Answers ]

OK, I need all the help I can get on this one. Please see attached picture. Let me keep it simple. I'm installing a new circuit for 2 new ceiling fans in my house. I ran 12-2 from a new 20 Amp breaker into the ceiling where the first fan will be. From the ceiling box, I ran 12-3 down to...

View more questions Search