Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Narlo Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2007, 02:36 PM
    Child support Arrears and custody
    If I owe child support and I wanted custody of my son, what should I do. I can't afford what they are asking, and he's suffering from a form of neglect but by me being the non-custodial parent it's hard to prove.
    XenoSapien Posts: 627, Reputation: 42

Nov 13, 2007, 03:53 PM
    Yes, it's nearly impossible to prove. Acquire factual evidence that neglect is happening, and see if you can get a lawyer pro-bono.

XenoSapien
    cjonline Posts: 217, Reputation: 19

Nov 14, 2007, 07:54 AM
    Support and custody are two separate issues. If you can't afford the support payments then file for an adjustment of the support take your income in to the court and they will check it. In most states you can't do this but every 6 months and only if there is a big change, or once every two or three years. Find out how long it is where you are before you file the papers.

If you want more time with your child then ask the court for more visitation, unless there is a reason not to the courts should grant it and it can be done at the same time as the support. If you live close enough, in the same school zone, you could always ask for split physical custody, something like 3 days one week and for the next. Always remember that you are getting more time with the child because you want more time with you child not because you hope to cut the support down, which will only happen if the custody it split 50/50 I believe.

Neglect is very hard to prove. What 'form of neglect' are you talking about? Are you going on just what the child says or do you see something? You could always take the matter to Child Protective Services, though I don't find them the most helpful group you might have better luck.

You might also want to talk to an attorney, even if you can't afford it most will meet with you for free. That way you can at least get some information and your questions answered.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 14, 2007, 08:30 AM
    Custody, visitation and child support are all separate issues but all are subject to being ordered by Family Court. Any change in one or more of them, needs to go through the court.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support/Custody [ 2 Answers ]

Hi , I'm from Nova Scotia . Canada and looking for some answers to questions if anyone has any for me , it would be muchly apperciated... Ok here goes , approx 5 yrs ago I started living with a man that has 2 children from a previous relationship , they went to court to settle on child support...

Custody VS Child Support [ 35 Answers ]

I would like some opinions on my situation and what I should do. The father of my daughter has never seen her, nor expressed any desire to do so. There was a paternity question but after the other person was excluded there was no doubt. He was informed and I offered every possible way to get...

Child support arrears [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I live in Texas. He has children for whom he pays child support however he has substantial arrears. Can a lien be placed against our home or can my IRS refund be garnished to satisfy his arrears/past due support? The home is in my name solely and I didn't indicate married when...

Collection of child support arrears [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Order for child support arrears. I also have an abstract of support judgement which has bee recorded. I want to make sure the father cannot take money out of his property before paying off this support order. How do I make sure this order and abstract show up against his real property...

Child support and custody [ 2 Answers ]

I am pregnant and the paternity can't be determined until after the child is born. I don't want anything from the determined father except child support, and neither of the two possible men seem to want anything to do with the child either. Can I receive child support from the determined father...

View more questions Search