Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2007, 02:19 PM
    The Golden Compass - New Movie
    In early December a movie called "The Golden Compass" is being released in the US (it's under different titles in other countries, I believe). From what I understand there has been an uproar because this movie "promotes atheism" in some way. Apparently a lot of Christians are boycotting the movie because they feel it is "anti-Christian".

Have any of you heard of this movie? Are you boycotting it, or do you not care? What exactly is so "wrong" with the movie, that there is the need to boycott? I've done a little web research, but nothing I've read seems to come out and say what the specific objection to the film is; just that the movie is "anti-Christian". I know the writer of the books the film is based on is a professed atheist; is that the primary objection?

I'm not trying to cause a fight, or say the film should/should not be boycotted - I'm just genuinely confused as to what the fuss is all about.

Here's a link to the movie on imdb, for anyone who hasn't heard about it: The Golden Compass (2007)

Thanks in advance to anyone who provides an answer.
    kindj Posts: 253, Reputation: 105

Nov 13, 2007, 02:41 PM
    Here's a pretty good, unbiased blurb on it from snopes:

Urban Legends Reference Pages: The Golden Compass
    kindj Posts: 253, Reputation: 105

Nov 13, 2007, 02:44 PM
    I forgot to put in my own 2 cents, sorry.

Based upon what I've heard thus far, I can say that in all likelihood, neither myself nor my children will be seeing it. It's not necessarily an attempt to "shield" them from anything, just that as a consumer, I have the choice when it comes to where to spend my dollars. From what I've been able to discover, I don't feel that I want my money to support the author of the books that the movie is based upon. Not when there's so much more good entertainment out there that isn't offensive to my beliefs.
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2007, 02:48 PM
    I saw that page, kindj, but I've been unable to find a link to the actual interview where the author made those comments. I'm not saying he didn't say those things, but we all know it's possible for things to be taken out of context.

I'm still left wondering, then, since the "god" in the movie isn't the "Christian god", and the "universe" in the movie isn't our universe, what's the big deal?
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2007, 02:54 PM
    Sorry, just saw your next comment.

Certainly you have the right as a consumer to not see or spend your money on anything you choose. I don't mean to imply otherwise with my post. I'm just wondering what the fuss is all about with this movie in particular, when there are plenty of other movies which deal with offensive/objectionable themes and there aren't boycotts called for. It seems the primary reason (from what I've gathered so far) is that people are boycotting because the author is a professed atheist.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2007, 03:26 PM
    It is a movie/book about COURAGE, so I guess that courage is anti-Christian.

I read on a site that it is encouraged that teachers recommend that students read Genesis as preparation for discussing this book in class. Why don't you Google the title of the movie/book and read all about it so you know what you are talking about? Then, continue the discussion...
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2007, 03:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Choux
    I read on a site that it is encouraged that teachers recommend that students read Genesis as preparation for discussing this book in class. Why don't you Google the title of the movie/book and read all about it so you know what you are talking about? Then, continue the discussion....
    Was that directed to me, Choux? I have read about the concept of the movie, but what I'm interested in knowing is what the specific objection to it is? There are a lot of movies/shows with offensive themes/subjects and a lot of writers with non-Christian beliefs. That's why I want to know why THIS movie?
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2007, 03:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kindj
    Here's a pretty good, unbiased blurb on it from snopes:

Urban Legends Reference Pages: The Golden Compass
    The email bits seem quite biased
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2007, 03:44 PM
    Well if christian movies can be made then why not atheist movies? People will vote with their dollars.
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2007, 05:16 PM
    Jillian,

My comment was addresses to EVERYONE who planned to answer the question... is it so shocking that an individual should know what they are talking about?? The movie is about COURAGE. I have noticed over the years that FundiEv Christians' manner of discussion is simply negative innuendo and mud slinging.
    Mylittlesunshyne Posts: 60, Reputation: 5

Nov 13, 2007, 05:18 PM
    Well, this goes along the lines with Harry Potter, I am christian, but I believe Harry Potter gives THE BEST MORALS EVER! It shows the power of friendship. Yet the church finds some flaw. Seeing as the movie hasn't come out yet... I don't know how anyone can say anything;

Nov 13, 2007, 05:19 PM
    Comment on Choux's post
    Good!

Comment on NeedKarma's post
    Good!

Comment on albear's post
    Not Good!

Nov 13, 2007, 05:20 PM
    Comment on jillianleab's post
    Good!
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2007, 09:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Choux
    jillian,

My comment was addresses to EVERYONE who planned to answer the question.....is it so shocking that an individual should know what they are talking about??? The movie is about COURAGE. I have noticed over the years that FundiEv Christians' manner of discussion is simply negative innuendo and mud slinging.
    I just wanted to be sure, Choux; I wasn't sure if by your post you meant; "If you would read about the movie and book you would know why people have a problem with it you stupid woman!" or, "If everyone knows the premise they will be able to make a better post regarding this movie." Thanks for the clarification, and I'm glad it was the latter option! :)

Mylittlesunshyne; the Harry Potter movies are another example I don't understand the need for protest. I had forgotten about it, thanks for reminding me of that.

NK; I agree, people will vote with their dollars. To be fair, however, I THINK the call is to boycott, not to ban the movie from release. I'm sure there are some out there who want to movie banned and never allowed to see the silver screen, but most of what I have read/heard has been Christians telling other Christians the movie is anti-god and to not see it.
    fallen2grace Posts: 199, Reputation: 4

Nov 14, 2007, 06:42 PM
    The only thing I have heard about it is that the director is an atheist and he hates C.S Lewis.
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2007, 10:21 PM
    Based on what you've heard, fallen, have you decided if you will or will not see the movie?

I hadn't heard he hates C.S. Lewis; I had just heard people compare him to C.S. Lewis and say they are opposites. I'm not saying your info is wrong, just that it is different to what I had heard, by the way.
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2007, 10:27 PM
    Kinji,

You think too much about what I say and do, and not enough about your faults and shortcomings.

Work on yourself, dude.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Nov 14, 2007, 10:36 PM
    I loved the Pullman books.

I ALSO loved Harry Potter, Narnia, and the Wrinkle in Time books. I was extremely disappointed that the movie based on the Susan Cooper books had such a short run time this fall, because I very much wanted to support that movie.

That being said--I don't remember anything specifically anti-Christian reading the books, and my 10 year old nephew is currently reading them, and he's quite the religious little boy, and HE hasn't said anything about it.

I believe that Piers Anthony kills off God in his Incarnations series, too. I hope they make movies of THOSE, too. Not because he kills god--but because it's a good story.

I had no idea about the religious debate about Golden Compass--but you can bet your rear that I'll be at that movie at least once now, because if nothing else, it was a good STORY, and I support good stories being made into movies.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Calibrating an Airguide auto compass [ 8 Answers ]

I have an Airguide compass for my car but have lost the instructions. How do you set it up. It is the basic model with suction cups and a round globe on a square base

Marine compass [ 1 Answers ]

What kind of oil in a compass

New Golden [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, my boyfriend and I are getting a new golden retriever puppy in the next couple weeks. The breeder said that we can come and get her anytime after she is 7 weeks old. I have heard that taking a puppy from its mother in the 7th week can be bad. Should we wait until 8 weeks or is it okay to...

View more questions Search