Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 25, 2007, 01:04 PM
    Raw egg carries the danger of food poisoning. Raw eggs being good for dogs is a myth of the 50's
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Nov 25, 2007, 03:29 PM
    Tyson is the dad though right? I am just worried Ava will see Lennox as someone she needs to protect the puppies from... and he is seriously in puppy-stage... like a kid on crack! LOL Just worried he may accidentally hurt the puppies.

That recipe is a great help :) Hopefully Ava will produce enough milk and not have more than 4 pups (the vet saw 2 and said there could be more behind them).
    Uber Member

Nov 25, 2007, 04:34 PM
    This may depend on the mother. I am not sure if 6 month old Isaac was allowed around the puppies when my Aster was born or not. Six months later, for the second litter, he was allowed in the whelping box to help groom the newborns.
    Ultra Member

Nov 25, 2007, 06:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    This may depend on the mother. I am not sure if 6 month old Isaac was allowed around the puppies when my Aster was born or not. Six months later, for the second litter, he was allowed in the whelping box to help groom the newborns.
    Yeah that is the only thing I am really concerned about. Lennox is really really active and in hardcore puppy mode. He will be overly interested in these little puppies. And I don't know, since he isn't the father of the pups, if Ava will see him as a threat.

Ava has already started to snap at him when he invades her space too much. So I don't think it's going to go well if he tries to check things out when she starts to have the puppies, or right after they are born.
    flcutiepye Posts: 26, Reputation: 0

Nov 25, 2007, 11:27 PM
    I would def not allow him in there alone! The first time Tyson went into the bathroom, Sasha snapped at him. We reprimanded her because we are not going to have her be mean to him, especially because he poses NO threat to the puppies! Anytime we let Tyson in the bathroom, we were there! Sasha would give Tyson the "evil eye"! I was so surprised because they are the best of friends! They are ALWAYS laying together & always loving on each other!
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2007, 12:19 PM
    Well I put the last finishing touches on Ava's whelping box, the railing so she won't accidentally squish a pup in a corner.
    I decided to let Lennox sleep in the same room with her last night because I figured if she went into labor last night he would start barking and would be able to wake me up... as Ava is a VERY quite dog and rarely barks, if ever.

Last night the pups weren't just kicking, they were moving all over!! Looked like they were doing flips!

Can't be much longer... I would be in AWE if she didn't have them by the weekend!
    Don't know how much bigger she can get!!

RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2007, 03:25 PM
    Hi Macksmom. Yes, it does appear that she is due any day now. I mentioned it in my post earlier, and I noticed your recent discussion about it -- do not allow Lennox to go into Ava's area after the pups are born. Even if he is supervised. She hasn't been living with you long enough for her to accept his presence around her pups. Because you will have your hands full, it is best if you can focus your undivided attention on her and the pups while you are in her space. You are going to have to be very much on your toes. She may be sweet and loving, but as I said, she hasn't been with you long enough for you to be sure that she won't view everyone, even you, as a threat. So, make sure you are always in control of everything that is going on around her. When she is napping with her pups or when you take a break from the situation, you can give Lennox the attention he will be looking for. He is still a puppy and will need the one on one from your family.
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2007, 05:24 PM
    Hey Ruby :)
    Yeah, I don't plan to let Lennox around her and the pups. She is already getting irritated with him now, let alone what she may do if he tries to invade her space. And like I've told you before... he's crazy haha, in a good way... but will probably be too rough with puppies... in a playful way, with no intention to harm. But better safe than sorry.

I was thinking about letting him stay with Ava until she goes into labor. He is very alert and would start barking if she was acting funny (moving around, whimperin, etc). I was going to start having him sleep with me to get him away from her, but I am so nervous that she will go into labor in the middle of the night and I won't hear her.

But once she goes into labor I will separate Lennox from her.

And I will definitely do as you said... and try to make sure to give him lots of loving when I'm not busy with Ava and the puppies :)

It's she HUGE... compared to the pics I posted of her when I first rescued her?!

Those pics above were with my phone, I am loading some more pics from my camera that are better of the little errr big mama :)

And you all will get to see tons of pics of the puppies. :D

I have calmed down a lot from when I first posted, and freaking out! Haha. I have realized there is not too much I can do to prepare, and I just have to wait until the puppies are here and see how she handles them before I step in. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that the litter is small and that Ava doesn't have any problems.
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2007, 07:11 AM

Ok everyone... I think TODAY is the day!

Last night Ava started acting out of the norm. She tried to get out of the gate when I let her outside, which she hasn't done in about 2-3 weeks. She is ALWAYS in the same room as me, either laying on the couch or floor. Last night I would look up and couldn't find her... she had started going to her whelping box, which she has NEVER done unless its time for bed.

This morning I let her out to potty and she came in and went right back to her whelping box and didn't leave it... very unusual for her. I got my daughter ready for school and went to check on Ava. She had either vomited or her water broke. I wasn't there for the incident so I'm not sure which (but I have read vomiting is a sign of labor). She was licking the area. I took out her bedding and it was soaked down to the bottom of the box.

She just now came out of her box and is laying on her favorite couch now... probably because I am in here.

Ahhhhh lol, trying to talk myself down because I am home alone. My husband is at work and my little girl is at school.

Should I babygate her in the room with her whelping box so she can stay in there, or is it okay to let her out around the house?
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2007, 07:44 AM
    MM, she seems to have adjusted to the box but if you are afraid she is going to give birth on your couch, a baby gate isn't a bad idea. Is it difficult for you to go and check on her often? Did you get a check list together, print out Flcutie's advice, and the other whelping info that labman and I gave to you in the links? Read them all over just to calm and reassure yourself. I know it will be fine. Make sure you have your vet's phone number very handy in case no one is here to help you and you need someone immediately.

I am sure you will do a fine job! You are a smart woman, you know enough about childbirth in humans, so really, how difficult can this be? If Ava appears uncomfortable just pet her and talk to her softly. Sometimes just the sound of our voices help calm them.
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2007, 07:49 AM
    She could vomit again or her water break. If so, it might be better on the hardwood floor. I think it should take anything cleaned up promptly.

I am not sure your whelping box is big enough. The mothers need room to carry the babies away from the rest for elimination. That keeps their sleeping and feeding area clean, the first step in housebreaking. I am happy to see it in the house. Unsealed wood is hard to clean. That may not be very important since you don't plan additional litters.
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2007, 08:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RubyPitbull
    MM, she seems to have adjusted to the box but if you are afraid she is going to give birth on your couch, a baby gate isn't a bad idea. Is it difficult for you to go and check on her often? Did you get a check list together, print out Flcutie's advice, and the other whelping info that labman and I gave to you in the links? Read them all over just to calm and reassure yourself. I know it will be fine. Make sure you have your vet's phone number very handy in case no one is here to help you and you need someone immediately.

I am sure you will do a fine job! You are a smart woman, you know enough about childbirth in humans, so really, how difficult can this be? If Ava appears uncomfortable just pet her and talk to her softly. Sometimes just the sound of our voices help calm them.
    Well the loveseat is her favorite spot... when we are all in the living room she claims that seat haha.
    But since last night she has been going to her box a lot... which she has never done until last night.
    Her "room" is on the first floor (thought her being upstairs would be hard). It is my mudroom/foyer right off the kitchen. We stopped using the back door for about a week ago and only use the front door, so it stops traffic from going to that room.
    She wants to be in any room I am in, I sat with her in "her" room this morning for awhile.

But yes, I can check on her often and it can be babygated so Lennox doesn't get near her. I removed his kennel from that room this morning.

I printed up any and everything you all have sent me and made notes from the books.

I hope all goes well!
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2007, 08:16 AM
    Good luck MM. I have been following this post all along. But, I felt I should just send you some love and luck. I'll be thinking about you.
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2007, 08:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    She could vomit again or her water break. If so, it might be better on the hardwood floor. I think it should take anything cleaned up promptly.

I am not sure your whelping box is big enough. The mothers need room to carry the babies away from the rest for elimination. that keeps their sleeping and feeding area clean, the first step in housebreaking. I am happy to see it in the house. Unsealed wood is hard to clean. That may not be very important since you don't plan additional litters.
    Well I built the box according to what all the whelping books said.:( They said to make it big enough for her to stretch out, but small enough so she could brace herself against the walls during labor.
    The books said for the first few weeks there didn't need to be a separate area for the pups to go potty... that she would stimulate them and somewhat clean up after them and just to change the bedding often. They said at about 2-3 weeks make an area off the box that can be used for paper training... at that point I was going to cut out a "door" on the left side and put newpaper down out side of the box. And they said to leave the papers with the smell on them but keep changing the bedding... so the papers smell like potty and the bed stays smelling clean.

Only the sides of the box are unfinished. I got a tile floor (excess cuts from Home Depot) and nailed it to the bottom of the bed. So the bottom is not wood. But yeah, like you said... there will be NO more litters after this one, so the box can be pitched.

So I built the box like the books told me... should I take off a wall after she has the pups? To do what you are saying?

She has stopped eating... but luckily she is drinking a lot of water.
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2007, 08:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuscany
    Good luck MM. I have been following this post all along. But, I felt I should just send you some love and luck. I'll be thinking about you.
    Thanks Tuscany :D

Let's hope all goes well and I can do this on my own... or that Ava holds off until my husband gets home! Lol
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2007, 01:41 PM
    Ok no puppies yet.

But earlier this afternoon I heard Ava trying to go upstairs... she NEVER goes up there unless she is following me. So I called her back down to me. She started panting a little bit so I babygated her in her room.

I have been checking on her every 10 minutes or so (except when I just went to pick up my daughter). Just checked on her and now she is shivering a bit.

Hopefully my husband will get home before she starts!
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2007, 01:54 PM
    You poor thing! I think you are going to have a tougher time than Ava! You are doing just fine. I know it will be easier for you if your husband is there. I do hope that he does get home before she starts. Do you have any friends or neighbors close by who are good at keeping you calm? Maybe they would be willing to hang out with you for a while.
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2007, 02:44 PM
    I don't doubt there aren't books out there that say that. After all, I see tons of questions from people having trouble housebreaking puppies and ones that soil their crate. Knocking a side off and putting down papers outside it would be a good idea.

Besides removing the puppies from their bed to eliminate, mothers will eat the stools too.

Get them whelped, and worry about keeping them clean later.

Oh, the better job of keeping them clean you do, the better the puppies smell.
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2007, 03:19 PM
    Ok... quick update... my husband just came home to give me a small break before he had to leave for class...

2 puppies so far!! :D:D

1 girl and 1 boy

Doing great, Ava is doing great and taking very good care of them... I had to help break the sac on the second pup

Both came before my husband got home! Lol

The only thing I am concerned about is I have been trying to get the pups to nurse and they are trying but I don't think Ava is lactating :(

It that normal? Will she start?

Ok got to go... update you soon :D:D:D
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2007, 03:40 PM
    Ok so I think Ava is taking a break...

The first 2 puppies came pretty close together, about 20-30mins apart...

I think she has started to lactate... I know the books said once she eats the placenta it will kick start her milk. The pups are now latched on and seem to be eating. They have stopped crying.

I gave Ava some warm broth and she seems to be doing great... I can tell she's tired though :(

Wonder how long it will be before she delivers the rest...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Do puppies need vitamins? [ 20 Answers ]

Hi, I am a proud new owner of a 3 mont hold male rat terrier. We bought oreo from a puppy store three days ago and he has had diarrhea ever since we bought him home. I am taking him to the vet tommrow for his first visit. I am beginning to think that the cause of this diarrehea could be all...

Puppies [ 6 Answers ]

my sister and I have been wanting a little maltese or a yorkie for about 2 months, and my mom doesn't care if we get one, but we r trying to convince him into getting a dog. does anyone know any good tips on how to convince parents into getting a dog?? also, does anyone know where to find...

Fleas on puppies [ 6 Answers ]

My niece has a new puppy 6 months old ,what can we do about fleas?

New mother to 5 puppies [ 1 Answers ]

Our dog gave birth to five lovely puppies yesterday, she coped excellently, but we are not sure what our next step should be, do we take her to the vet, she seems healthy and the pups are suckling well, when can she go out, should she be panting - she is drinking little but often is this normal,...

Puppies [ 1 Answers ]

My pug had two puppies they are now 8 1/2 weeks old. One just went to her new home today now the other puppy is acting kind of sad is it normal?

View more questions Search