Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dingdongdonger Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2007, 10:40 AM
    1998 cavalier engine light
    I have a 1998 chevy cavalier with 120,000 miles on it. I need to have the stabililzer link fixed, however it's been over a month and I have not had it done yet.

This morning, my check engine light came on and stayed on. This has not happened in about a year or so and it turned out to be electrical which was fixed.

I live about 40 minutes from work and need my car to get the kids and back to work. Can anyone give me any insight on if I can wait until Friday to get this taken care of?

What could this be? I am so nervous I have given myself the poops!

Worried...
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2007, 10:46 AM
    The stabilizer link is not a super-critical item that immediately needs attention. In all likelihood the boot has split and grease may have leaked out. However, the ball joint stud is likely fine and has not failed, yet. There is no connection between the Check Engine Light going on and the stabilizer link needing replacing. You should easily be able to wait until Friday.

The stabilizer link is a 14" link (bar), with ball joints on each end. It connects the stabilizer bar to the strut. It helps cornering, car stability, and steering tightness. I replaced one on the right front of my 2000 Taurus last month. Part cost $20--easy to do.

It looks like the design is different on your car. Here's what it may look like and cost:

While we find your parts, please enter your ZIP Code at PartsAmerica.com

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1998 chevy cavalier ets light, won't start [ 21 Answers ]

Hi all, hope someone can help with my problem. My sister has a 1998 chevy cavalier z24 automatic 4 cyl. About a week ago the ETS light come on, no other lights. The buzzer was buzzing when she put the key in to start it and going down the road it would go off and on. Then it started jerking and...

97 Chevy Cavalier Engine light won't go off. [ 6 Answers ]

Hi. Everyone I have a 97 Chevy Cavalier with a engine light on that won't go off, I recently got an oil change but I did not change out the oil filter the coolant is fine and the car is not over heating. I checked to see if the car needed more oil but that is also fine. What else should I do or...

1998 Chevy Cavalier ETS light on [ 3 Answers ]

We just purchased a 1998 Chevy Cavalier last week for my daughter, it has 65,000 miles. It has been driving fine, except today the ETS light went on, it was sluggish and then the car died.. the engine light went on, oil etc. She started it up again and parked it, but what would make this ETS...

Engine malfunction light on 1998 honda shuttle [ 1 Answers ]

Sirs or madams, Can anyone advise me as to why the "engine malfunction light" anoying keeps coming on when I start and also while driving my 1998 Honda shuttle which I have had since Feb. this year, here's hoping somebody can throw some light on this problem Yours...

View more questions Search