Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jokofa Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2007, 08:52 AM
    GST in singapore~
    What is the background of GST in Singapore?
    How did the government implement the GST in Singapore?
    What is the disadvantages and advantages of implementation of GST in Singapore?
    What is the effects?
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2007, 09:49 AM
    GST (Goods & Services Tax )is also known as Consuption Tax by some and a Value Added Tax(VAT) by others . In Singapore it mostly applies to purchases of foreign goods. The theory is that the government can get taxes through the sales of goods indirectly and then can reduce the rates of other direct taxes like taxes on incomes. Besides Singapore other local nations like Australia and New Zealand ,and Malaysia have a similar tax format.

Since implemented it has been raised from 3% to about 7% in Singapore . I have no opinion on it's effectiveness in Singapore but I am watching with interest as there are more and more nations;especially in East Europe ,are willing to go to an alternative besides income taxes. One benefit to the government would be that the tax collecting responsibility shifts from the government to business. But I'm not sure the businesses appreciate being the tax man.

My biggest concern would be that the government would add it without reducing or eliminating other parts of it's tax confiscation matrix. Too many governments rely on muti-tiered schemes to pick our pockets as it is
    jokofa Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2007, 09:25 PM
    THX~~~~~

But can I have a more detail information? Or some website to know more about GST in Singapore?

Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    GST (Goods & Services Tax )is also known as Consuption Tax by some and a Value Added Tax(VAT) by others . In Singapore it mostly applies to purchases of foreign goods. The theory is that the government can get taxes through the sales of goods indirectly and then can reduce the rates of other direct taxes like taxes on incomes. Besides Singapore other local nations like Australia and New Zealand ,and Malaysia have a simular tax format.

Since implemented it has been raised from 3% to about 7% in Singapore . I have no opinion on it's effectiveness in Singapore but I am watching with interest as there are more and more nations;especially in East Europe ,are willing to go to an alternative besides income taxes. One benefit to the government would be that the tax collecting responsibility shifts from the government to business. But I'm not sure the businesses appreciate being the tax man.

My biggest concern would be that the government would add it without reducing or eliminating other parts of it's tax confiscation matrix. Too many governments rely on muti-tiered schemes to pick our pockets as it is

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

MBA in singapore [ 2 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I'm currently doing my B-Tech in Computer Science in India right now. I would like to know about the good colleges in singapore that offer MBA courses. Could you please help me out?

GST calculations [ 5 Answers ]

I wanted to know how you take a total that already includes 6% gst and find out exactly how much gst was paid? Example: 45.00 includes 6% Gst-how much of the $45.00 is actually GST?:confused: Please show calculation. Thanks!

Gst and PST [ 1 Answers ]

Paid feb rent to the landlord for the rental of a warehouse, the lease calls for monthly payments of $2,500 plus 7% GST Prepare journal entries

View more questions Search