Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mekran12 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2005, 02:24 PM
    Lewis Structure
    What does the Lewis structure of ClF4- look like?
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2005, 03:36 PM
    How about an attempt or a guess and then we'll guide you from there?

Requires you to understand how to calculate formal charges.

So draw out a molecule (hint... when in doubt where to start try a symmetrical molecule... doesn't always work, but a good place to begin) with bonding and nonbonding electrons and then calc formal charges.

Here's a HUGE hint... chlorine has d orbitals which allow it to exceed the octet rule while fluorine does not. In other words, each fluorine will never have more than 8 valence electrons, but the chlorine can have more electrons... this is impt when calculating formal charges and adding enough electrons to match the molecular charge.
    mekran12 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2005, 05:42 AM
    There are 36 ve in the structure. If fluorine can never have more than 8 ve, then I think that there would be two lone pairs of electrons around chlorine in addition to its single bonds to the other four fluorines. Is that right? That would mean that chlorine has the -1 formal charge. But fluorine is more electronegative than chlrorine. Would this just be an exception?
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2005, 09:40 AM
    Yeah, even though you try to put charges on the more electroneg element when forming a lewis structure, there really is no choice but to put it on the chlorine, as it is the only atom to have "room" for the extra electrons needed to get the charge down to 1-.

Sorry took so long to get back to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Frame Structure QUESTION [ 2 Answers ]

There has a few type of FRAME STRUCTURE. There are PLANE FRAMES, SPACE FRAMES & SKELETON FRAMES. Explain and sketch the shape for three type construction method of the FRAME.

Tax Structure on 401K [ 2 Answers ]

Browsed many forums but couldn't find an answer to my Question. I would really appreciate if someone could help me out here. I currently have 8000 USD ($8K) in my 401K account. I started it just 2 yrs back. Im planning to take up school next year and leave my job. If I withdraw all this 401K...

Structure of covert cells [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. I've heard a lot in the news about sleeper cells, terrorist cells, spy cells, etc. but I'm not knowledgeable about what a cell is. I understand that it's a group of people, but what are the key structural points about cell anatomy. That is to say, what types of roles that people play make up...

Deep and flat structure [ 3 Answers ]

What are the deep structure diagram and the flat structure diagram, any one can send simple shapes of those kinds. Thanks in advance

View more questions Search