Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    soyuppy Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2007, 09:21 PM
    Wall receptical and cabinet
    I'm planning to install some cabinet that will be covering some pre-install wall receptacle. Is it enough if I cut the cabinet open to allow access to that outlet? Or do I have to bring the outlet and re-installed it inside the cabinet. My cabinet make suggest that I should bring it inside the cabinet. I really don't want to have to unmount the outlet at all.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2007, 09:35 PM
    It would look neater and be easier to plug into the receptacle if it was mounted on the inside of the cabinet. It could be that the wires for the outlet will be long enough to extend to where the outlet would be if it is mounted on the inside of the cabinet. Your going to have to cut a hole in the cabinet anyway no matter what you do. Also, remounting the outlets is an easy task. But, the last word on this is yours.

That is my opinion, anyway. Perhaps someone else will come along and also share their views.
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2007, 09:40 PM
    I think I would cut holes in back of cabinet and plug in a power strip

And mount it under the cabinet for convenience... Believe you can do it

So it looks decent and makes everybody happy -- GOOD LUCK
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2007, 09:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by biggsie
    I think I would cut holes in back of cabinet and plug in a power strip

and mount it under the cabinet for convenience... Believe you can do it

so it looks decent and makes everybody happy -- GOOD LUCK
    That would be a good idea biggsie! But, it would also be good if we knew that the cabinets are being installed on the floor or towards the ceiling.

Nov 12, 2007, 11:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    That would be a good idea biggsie! But, it would also be good if we knew that the cabinets are being installed on the floor or towards the ceiling.
    The cabinet is installing into a media niche structure for entertainment center. THe outlets are on the side lower left and right side of the niche.

Yes, the plan is to cut the hold on the cabinet to allow access to the outlet. And I will use powerstrip to distribute power to all components inside the cabinet.

I guess my concern that is there code that required the outlet be re-mount on the cabinet? No, I don't have enough wire to extend it inside the cabinet. That's my reason for wanting the outlet to remain there.
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2007, 11:24 PM
    Thanks for the explanation! Concerning code, that would depend on the laws where you live. A person at a building supply place could probably tell you what the codes might be. Also, around where I live, the codes for electrical things are available at the larger building supply store.

We do have at least a few excellent experts on this site specifically concerning electricity. I hope that one of them notices your post.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2007, 03:44 AM
    Cutting a hole to expose the outlet is fine. You will need some sort of extension for the box so the finish plate can sit flush on the finish inside the cabinet.

There are several types of extensions made for typical wall case outlet boxes for this purpose.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2007, 06:39 AM
    As far as wires being too short, add small pigtails (short wires, not too short) to allow easy working in the future, Twist wires together tight, then wirenut.

Nov 13, 2007, 08:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando
    As far as wires being too short, add small pigtails (short wires, not too short) to allow easy working in the future, Twist wires together tight, then wirenut.
    Where would the pigtail be housed? In the open behind the wall or in another junction box? One of my question in another thread was related to this. Can I leave pigtail open/un-housed behind close wall or ceiling?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2007, 09:25 AM
    The Pigtail is just a short piece of wire, a continuation of the wires inside the box, since you said the existing is short, these will allow receptacle to be removed or replaced comfortably. The wirenuts connecting existing to pigtail will be in existing box or extension.
    You don't have to install receptacle. Blank can be used Box does need access. Don't cover.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing wall hung sink cabinet to hold granite top [ 1 Answers ]

Calling All Cabinet Installers/Bath Remodel Contractors! Am helping my son remodel his teeny bath in a pre-WWII bldg. Have ordered a wall cab 18" deep X 24" wide X 24" high (KraftMaid). Have studied cab specs: 1/8" back panel conceals two 5/8" hanging rails (top/bottom) doweled/glued to 3/4"...

180 degree misalignment Wall Receptical [ 3 Answers ]

Which way do I install a grounded three hole wall receptical? Two slots on top and ground hole on bottom (little face) or Ground hole on top and two slots below (christmas tree)? Does it matter? I've noticed most recepticals have writing or numbers which are read right side up when the (little...

GFI receptical [ 1 Answers ]

I installed a one outlet gfi with a switch, it replaces an old two wire receptecal, the lightb switch works but the gfi will not reset, keep in mind it only has two wires coming from the power source, how do I hook up the two wires that are on the new recptecal along with the power source wires?

Receptical and switches [ 5 Answers ]

When purchasing recepticals and switches what price range should I be looking at. I have seen 10 packs at home depot for about $5. Im sure they are not the best choice only being about .50 a piece. I am using them for residential.

Roof receptical [ 3 Answers ]

I need to install a receptical under the eve of my roof for roof cable to plug into for melting ice on my roof. I would also like a pilot lite switch installed to let me know when the power is on for the roof cables. Do I need conduit from the inside of the house to the outside box. Any help in...

View more questions Search