Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bindeweede Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2007, 04:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mylittlesunshyne
    anything which falls under the category of classical music. Such as beethoven, mozart chopin bartok, bach etc...
    classical music doesent even involve words!

So how can you suggest Beethoven, Mozart, Bartok, Bach, didn't write music with words?

Nov 16, 2007, 03:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    define:VIRGINAL - Google Search

I own one. I give lecture/demonstrations to groups on topics concerning early music, among other things.
    So, are not the strings of the virginals plucked, as opposed to struck, as in the clavichord or piano?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2007, 03:16 PM
    Originally Posted by Clough
    define:VIRGINAL - Google Search

I own one. I give lecture/demonstrations to groups on topics concerning early music, among other things
    Quote Originally Posted by bindeweede
    So, are not the strings of the virginals plucked, as opposed to struck, as in the clavichord or piano?
    Yes, they are plucked.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 16, 2007, 03:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    Yes, they are plucked.
    Like a harp is plucked by the user?
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2007, 03:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    Like a harp is plucked by the user?
    Kind of the same way.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 16, 2007, 03:33 PM
    With one's fingers?
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2007, 03:46 PM
    In the harpsichord family of instruments, the wires (or strings as some might call them) are plucked by a plectrum that is attached to what is called the tongue. The tongue is subsequently attached to a jack which sits on top of the rear end of key.

Harp strings are almost invariably plucked by using the fingers.

In either of these types of instruments, there might be times when you will use other things to pluck the strings other than a plectrum or fingers. But, that is generally to produce sounds like you might find in the most modern music.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 16, 2007, 03:51 PM
    So, if I sit down to play your virginal, I will touch keys that will somehow produce music (as with a piano), or I will literally pluck strings as I would pluck harpstrings or an autoharp?

Nov 16, 2007, 03:56 PM
    Yes, it is just like a small piano, if you like. Quieter, and sort of "twangy", but "Clough" will be able to tell you more, if necessary.
    e419 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2007, 07:56 PM
    I'm a big metal fan but classical is another one of my loves. Fur Elise is one of the best classical pieces in my mind.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2007, 08:35 PM
    If we can list our favorite piece, I would say Chopin's Preludes (24) for Piano, Op. 28: no 15 in D flat major "Raindrop" as performed by Martha Argerich.
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2007, 03:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    So, if I sit down to play your virginal, I will touch keys that will somehow produce music (as with a piano), or I will literally pluck strings as I would pluck harpstrings or an autoharp?
    Like I had said, they are normally plucked with a plectrum that is connected to a tongue and the tongue is then connected to a jack and the jack is on the back of the key.
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2007, 03:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by e419
    I'm a big metal fan but classical is another one of my loves. Fur Elise is one of the best classical pieces in my mind.
    The piece "Für Elise", or as translated from the German, "For Elise" although a simple piece by Beethoven, is one of the most popular ones for the piano in music history. Too bad that most pianists don't learn the whole piece and only end up playing the first part!

Do you play the piece?
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2007, 03:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    If we can list our favorite piece, I would say Chopin's Preludes (24) for Piano, Op. 28: no 15 in D flat major "Raindrop" as performed by Martha Argerich.
    I have played that piece many times as well as have taught it. It is a very interesting piece in that, in it's ABA form it demonstrates so much calm emotion in the first "A" part, then it turns into a storm in the "B" section of it. Then it returns to calm and serenity in the second "A" section of the piece. I like to equate it to the calm before a storm, the storm itself and then the calm that happens after the storm. It also reminds me of someone who might suffer from manic-depressive disorder.

Nov 17, 2007, 08:18 AM
    I know it's usually played on piano but I really can't play piano I am trying to learn it on guitar though
    katimavik Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2007, 08:39 AM
    Don't forget that what we term "Classical" was indeed the "Pop" music of its day and many composer were as prolific as present day. With this in mind, have you listened to the film score music of Ennio Moriconi and other members of his family. Beautiful, evocative and very emotional. Music that you feel rather than hear.

Nov 17, 2007, 08:54 AM
    The majority of the music I listen to whether metal, classic rock, classical, mabey a little rap here and there (not the biggest fan but some is ok) I have to feel. Music without emotions behind it means nothing. I believe I am a true lover of music, not so much the lyrics or what instraments but the feelings that come out from playing or listening to it. The song on a hole is what gets me, if I'm not feeling one thing in it usually I won't listen to it.
    Mylittlesunshyne Posts: 60, Reputation: 5

Nov 18, 2007, 08:52 PM
    Well, this has become somewhat popular...

Anyhow, I'd like to point out that barouque pieces are often used in training in the piano, because the right hand and left hand are always moving, not the let hand playing a chord and the right hand playing, so it trains both hands, which I think is smart.
    Mylittlesunshyne Posts: 60, Reputation: 5

Nov 18, 2007, 08:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by e419
    the majority of the music I listen to wether metal, classic rock, classical, mabey a little rap here and there (not the biggest fan but some is ok) I have to feel. music without emotions behind it means nothing. I believe I am a true lover of music, not so much the lyrics or what instraments but the feelings that come out from playing or listening to it. the song on a hole is what gets me, if I'm not feeling one thing in it usually I won't listen to it.

That's a very good statement! I have to also feel the music, otherwise it means nothing,

Nov 18, 2007, 09:47 PM
    I wish I could play piano (you can get some really moving stuff from it) I'm sure if I sat down and put my mind to it I could but I really don't have the time to.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does classical music really help? [ 2 Answers ]

I am 19 weeks pregnant. Does listning to classical music really help my unborn child by making it a tad smarter? If so, can he hear it if its softly played next to me or would headphones on my belly work better?

Best contemporary music (non classical) universities in the US? [ 6 Answers ]

We have identified several below. Any other suggestions? Thanks Berklee –Berklee.com MI - Best Music School in Los Angeles, Guitar Lesson Colleges, Music Business College, Recording Schools LA, Musicians Institutes Fullsail Full Sail: School of Film, Art, Design, Music & Media Production...

Classical republicanism [ 1 Answers ]

What are the major purposes in government according to classical republicanism?

Does BBC radio 1 play classical music ? [ 1 Answers ]

Does BBC radio 1 play classical music ?

View more questions Search