Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kbec Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2005, 08:58 AM
    Washer hose flow valve
    I just bought new washing machine connectors at a national home improvement store. They are billed as flood preventative because they have a diaphram valve at the connector which shuts down water flow when flow exceeds 2.5 gpm. However, I can only turn on the water valves less than a quarter of a turn before the diaphram is compromised and shuts down water flow. As a result it takes forever to fill the machine.

Are these working properly? Are they worth it? (Certainly not for me just now, or only if I have a leak.) Is there something I can do about them? Puncture them? Return them? They are not removable.

On the stores website they do not have these particular hoses so I am not sure of the manufacturer. Probably Watts or Fluidmaster.

Thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 22, 2005, 01:14 PM
    What am I missing here? Why in the world anybody want to choke down the input fill volume of a washer? What happen to a washer that doesn't have one of these gadgets on that fills faster then 2 1/2 GPM? It just fills faster that's what. As a "time saver" this sucks. Please give me a website or the brand name and function of these whozits so I can look them up. Tom
    kbec Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2005, 02:20 PM
    The idea is that if the connector to the washing machine bursts and starts to dump water into the house, thus over 2.5 gallons per minute, the diaphram would "pop" to the closed position and save your house. This is not a needed device but an "innovation" to save you from a flooded house. However I am finding it too sensitive for my use. The diaphram is part of the hose-end which connects to the faucet. It is not something I can remove. Thanks for responding. I will try to find out the manufacturer and post again.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 22, 2005, 04:01 PM
    "The idea is that if the connector to the washing machine bursts and starts to dump water into the house"

What's to burst? The reinforced hose? The brass threads? And how many times has this happened? Not too many Is my guess since I've never heard of it happening. It would seem the a much simpler ,(and cheaper) solution, if you're worried, would be to simply shut the hose bibs off. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How far for the dish washer drain hose? [ 1 Answers ]

I need to get my new dish washer (I haven't brought yet), to a drain. The problem is that (My 4 plex is commercial and all concrete) the closest drain is 10' away from center. I'd even like to get it to drain in the G.disposal, which is another 4 feet, which makes it 14' total. Is this possible? Is...

Portable AC Exhaust Hose [ 1 Answers ]

Help! Is there some sort of trick to make the exhaust hose stay in place? Despite my best efforts, it wants to slip out of place both on the back of The portable AC unit as well as from the connector in the window. What am I doing wrong? Any hints or tricks on how to make the connection, ...

Washer hose rusted on [ 1 Answers ]

My brother in law just bought an old house, from the 50's. As they were installing the new washer they noticed the old cold water hose was rusted on to the vavle. After numerous attempts with WD40 two pipe wrenches and two guys the thing still has not budged. In an attempt to possibly screw off...

Gas valve noise on main valve engagement [ 1 Answers ]

I have a carrier 58gs100ga furnace with a white rodgers 36e93 gas valve. The main gas valve solenoid chatters or rattles for a split second before it stays engaged after the pilot is proved. I just replace the spark/lock out board and the fan board for a different problem. This chatter is...

Extending the exhaust hose? :) [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I have just had a portable air conditioner delivered which is fantastic, I got it from a UK company called B&Q and it's a 10,000 BTU. It arrived with a 1.5metre exhaust hose which isn't long enough, currently, we have it working by it going round another door and the hot air going into...

View more questions Search