Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sjhick Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2007, 08:35 PM
    House with obvious foundation settling
    We are looking to buy a house that has obvious foundation settling. Exterior doors and some interior doors are 2 to 3 inches out of square. This house has an unfinished basement and I can't seem to find any serious cracks in the floor or walls. The house was built in 1961 and is in central Wyoming. This is going to be a fixer upper for us and I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. Being 46 years old does a guy just go in and resquare door frames? Or is this more serious than I am thinking?
    Thanks for any help!
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2007, 04:43 AM
    If, and I say, IF, the foundation is not settling as you have stated, the walls are doing just that.

A home inspection service will find the problem, that is their job, inspecting for possible errors in building maintenance and defects in workmanship. Get a certified inspector.

If it is found to be the walls/base plate, which is rotted, you can lift the house, this is not only tricky, but dangerous for the novice.NOT impossible.

By lifting walls(which will crack all plaster/drywall,that has been put in place since the settling has occurred)you can bring the home back to a respectable level,enough to keep the doorways even,if it was even when it was built.

More serious? The inspector will let you know this.

Ken

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foundation Settling [ 1 Answers ]

Hello: We recently looked at a house that had some foundation settling problems. Noted in the garage, there are 1" cracks that went through the concrete block outside. The sunlight came in through these cracks. Also, on the ground there were weeds growing inside the garage. Around the...

Settling house [ 4 Answers ]

What is the usual solution for fixing a settling home? What happens if you do not fix it? Affording this will be a hardship. We have cracks in the drywall everywhere, shifting concrete blocks, water on the basement walls and cracking on basement walls.

Garage Settling/ Foundation Problems [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I bought a 20 year old house 6 months ago. The garage floor has settled and it slopes down in the middle. If it rains the water will pool into the middle of the garage floor. Additionally, the garage wall closest to the house sits directly above the basement wall.(see attachment) The corner...

House still settling [ 3 Answers ]

I've lived in my house for 3.5 years. It is a 1/1 condo type townhouse (bought new). There are 7 units in my row of houses. At the first year anniversary, the builder had a contractor come in and fix all settling cracks and joints. At year 2 I fixed all settling cracks and joints. It is now...

Foundation problems or settling? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me with cracks appearing in the walls of my house. I have lived here for about two years, and when we first moved in there were no cracks in the walls. Now there are a lot. Most walls are plaster, and the house was built in 1927. Any help would be...

View more questions Search