Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CCrage Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2007, 07:41 PM
    Briggs/Stratton 16.5 starting problems?
    I have a Briggs and Stratton 16.5hp riding mower. When I first received it from a friend it worked fine, then one day the battery was dead. I put a new battery in it and it started fine then the next time I tried to start it, nothing just clicks and then it went dead. I jumped it from a car battery and it started after charging a few minutes. The next time again dead... tried to:confused: jump it and just clicks occasionally the starter turns but that is it. I bench tested the starter and it spins freely, but when hooked back up it only rotates every few seconds at a slow speed. Changed the spark plug, jumped the selenoid, even direct hooked up the starter to a fully charged battery and same results... spins every few seconds at a slow pace. Any ideas?? Haven't chagned the starter yet... Jim
    ericthobe Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2007, 07:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CCrage
    I have a Briggs and Stratton 16.5hp riding mower. When I first received it from a friend it worked fine, then one day the battery was dead. I put a new battery in it and it started fine then the next time I tried to start it, nothing just clicks and then it went dead. I jumped it from a car battery and it started after charging a few minutes. The next time again dead....tried to:confused: jump it and just clicks occasionally the starter turns but that is it. I bench tested the starter and it spins freely, but when hooked back up it only rotates every few seconds at a slow speed. Changed the spark plug, jumped the selenoid, even direct hooked up the starter to a fully charged battery and same results...spins every few seconds at a slow pace. Any ideas??? Haven't chagned the starter yet....Jim
    If I had to guess it would be a bad starter... they cost a lot but it is well worth it... do you take the key out when you don't use it?

Nov 12, 2007, 07:55 PM
    I can't get the key out, but I make sure that it is all the way off
    ericthobe Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2007, 07:58 PM
    Sometimes even if the key is in the ignition swith it will take power from the battery... if I were you I would replace the starter and the switch... that would cost you about 75-90 dollors...
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2007, 07:10 PM
    Sounds like either the compression release on the cam shaft, or more likely the valves need adjusting. I would lean toward the valves.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 14, 2007, 07:44 PM
    "then one day the battery was dead" I am not sure what wrong yet but his valves would not kill a good battery. It was fine one day and dead the next day, that says short or drain like leaving the key on. However he further staes the start only turns a few seconds at a slow speed. Do us a favor and pull the spark plug and then try to start it. How fast did the starter spin this time?

Nov 19, 2007, 08:41 PM
    When I pull the plug do I need to direct hook=up the starter to a battery or just try to start it up normally with a charged battery? This thing has been driving me nuts!! Can't figure out what the heck is going on...

Nov 21, 2007, 07:19 PM
    Okay I got it.. I pulled the plug and the motor was spinning just fine. But with the plug in it just slowly cranks... compression issue? How can I solve this?
    chulo69 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2012, 09:39 AM
    When I pull the spark plug the motor spins fine when I put it back in it turns slowly again . How can I fix this ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Briggs&Stratton Pulsa Jet Carb problems [ 9 Answers ]

I'm having trouble starting an older aerator with a B&S 3.5hp horizontal shaft engine with a Pulsa Jet carb. I've changed diaphragm, and carb-to-fuel tank gasket. It can be started and run on starter fluid, but doesn't seem to pump gas into carburetor. What else to look for?

Engine Swap Problems 11 hp Briggs and Stratton [ 6 Answers ]

I blew an engine on my 2001 Murray Mid Engine Ridder. A friend gave me and older model engine and Ii found problems with connecting the wires. On the engine blown there was one yellow wire fron the coil to the wiring harness and one red wire from the strator to the wiring harness. My problem...

Briggs and Stratton 14.5 [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Poulan 38" cut rider with a Briggs and Stratton 14.5 hp engine. It is about 6 or 7 years old and has always ran great and has had regular maintenance (oil change and plugs, kept out of direct weather). It sat in the garage for about 2 months due to illness when my wife decided to...

16.5 hp briggs and stratton [ 2 Answers ]

I have an older 16.5 hp Briggs and Statton riding mower,and have had the starter rebuilt. I was told that before I put it back on the mower I need to have "The Valve" turned or it would be pointless.My question is what valve needs to be turned and where is it located.I am assuming I would takr the...

Briggs and Stratton 10 hp [ 1 Answers ]

Can some one help me I need to know what valve setting to set on my briggs stratton generator. Thank you for you help

View more questions Search