Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ulr037 Posts: 39, Reputation: 3

Nov 22, 2005, 05:09 AM
    A big thank you to all who helped me
    I am back. I would like to thank everyone who helped me with my computer problems, my presentation, the music etc etc. You were all a big help. My father passed away on November 8 2005. My mother and I stayed with my father in the hospital till his very peacefull passing. I have been away for 4 weeks and did not want you to think that I did not think about you while I was away and all the work you did for me during my time of need. I just did not want you to think I took your knowledge and ran with it. I was just not hear at my computer. Again, I thank you very much for your kindness and I will be back to learn more from all of you, I am sure. My computer is running fine. I did take off Norton anti versus. I installed avg like was suggested but it was a trail period and it expires in 3 days. I am still looking for some free antivirus that is more permanent. Can't afford to buy anything at the moment. I will see what I can do at this front. All the other programs are running fine that everyone suggested. Again, a great big thank you. Take good care. Talk soon! :)
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Nov 22, 2005, 05:25 AM
    Avg
    Hi,
    Thank you for posting back. I am sorry to hear about your Father. I lost both my Mom and Dad many yrs ago, and I do know that it's very difficult.
    If you can afford $33 US, for the AVG, it's good for 2 years. I don't think the free version is good now for more than 30 days, as you alluded to.
    It use to be free, but as it goes, a good free thing doesn't last forever!
    I use AVG, paying the $33, and it's well worth it. As you probably know, they don't wait to gather up a 100 or so virus definitions at one time to download. Some downloads are only for 1 definition. I think this is a good thing to do, since you are protected day by day with new definitions.
    I do send my condolences to you and your family.

Nov 22, 2005, 05:35 AM
    Thank you Fred! Much appreicated! Will look into your suggestion. I am just scared of purchasing anything over the net with a credit card. I am sure it can be purchased at a computer store though. Is this correct?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2005, 05:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    Hi,
    If you can afford $33 US, for the AVG, it's good for 2 years. I don't think the free version is good now for more than 30 days, as you alluded to.
    It use to be free, but as it goes, a good free thing doesn't last forever!
    Nope, the free version is free forever and updates very frequently - I know, I use it.

Nov 22, 2005, 05:59 AM
    Then why does it say it will expire in 3 days? Thanks for your response in advance.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 22, 2005, 06:02 AM
    Give this a try
    Free AVG
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2005, 06:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ulr037
    Then why does it say it will expire in 3 days? Thanks for your response in advance.
    Most likely because someone gave you the wrong download link and you selected the trial version of the paid program. The correct link to the free version is here: http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5.

Cheers.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Nov 22, 2005, 06:52 AM
    AVG Free
    Hi,
    Thank you for pointing out that AVG is still Free!
    At the time I tried downloading it in the past, I could not find any link for the free version.
    It's still there!
    Thanks again to NeedKarma and Curlyben.
    By the way, Ulr, I use my credit card online for various purchases and have never had any problem. I know it's "scary" sometimes, but then again, I guess it's simply a matter of personal preference.
    Many items online are much cheaper, including shipping and handling, than in local stores around the area in which I live. It's about 40 miles to the nearest Walmart, and other larger department stores.
    I live in the "boonies"... Good luck.
    Also, when I used the AVG Free version, it would always use it's "commercial" or "advertising" at the end of every email I sent; simply saying something to the effect that "this email scanned by AVG".
    Since I prefer not to have this showing on every email, I bought the program, which has the option to turn it off, not showing the advertising for AVG.
    Again, a matter of personal use by each person.
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2005, 06:58 AM
    Credit card tip
    If you feel leary about using a credit card for online purchases here's a tip:
    - get a second credit card with a low limit, like $1,000. You have to specify that this is the credit limit you want to the lender, this will reduce your exposure
    - make sure that this card is part of your online banking so that you can track its usage in near-real time
    - stick to the well-known online commercial sites at first (Amazon, Dell, etc.) make a few small purchases first to get the feel of online shopping
    - if you have ordered and have that nagging feeling don't feel shy about calling their sales support line to check things out
    - never do business with a web site that does not have phone numbers to call or does not list its business address on the site

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blind girl helped by deformed guy... Title? [ 3 Answers ]

This guy with this really ugly lumpy face helps this blind girl... there's a part about something cold and he says something like... this is blue... and then there's something hot and he says its red... I can't remember the name... help!

Can A Friend Be Helped? [ 22 Answers ]

So, it is an odd circumstance perhaps, but my friend got dumped by his girlfriend of 1.5 years about 3 months ago. She proceeded to sleep with someone new the NEXT DAY! And then she went onto another guy, and then another. Now she has just starting to contact him again. She says she misses him,...

View more questions Search