Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    autumn1983 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2007, 05:59 PM
    Is it normal for adults with ADHD to have trouble maintaining friendships?
    Hello everyone,

I'm a 24 year old female with ADHD. Although very outgoing around my family, I have always avoided people because of my fear of saying and/or doing something socially inappropriate (those with ADHD unfortunately know what I mean). Often, my hyperactivity and lack of focus is misinterpreted as conceitedness or a lack of respect for others or just plain weird. I find it easier to just avoid people altogether, but I end up feeling depressed because I spend most of my free time alone. I try to stay at the office as long as possible and bring work home with me because I have nothing else to do, and it distracts me from the fact that I am alone. The problem is that I notice my life passing me by. I don't have any memories of social activities that most people do (no childhood sleepovers, prom, college parties, sports games, etc. to speak of), and it worries and saddens me. I am wondering, perhaps from someone older with ADHD, is this common and does it ever change? Or is being alone something I just have to learn to accept?
    b2busy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2007, 06:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by autumn1983
    Hello everyone,

I'm a 24 year old female with ADHD. Although very outgoing around my family, I have always avoided people because of my fear of saying and/or doing something socially inappropriate (those with ADHD unfortunately know what I mean). Often, my hyperactivity and lack of focus is misinterpreted as conceitedness or a lack of respect for others or just plain weird. I find it easier to just avoid people altogether, but I end up feeling depressed because I spend most of my free time alone. I try to stay at the office as long as possible and bring work home with me because I have nothing else to do, and it distracts me from the fact that I am alone. The problem is that I notice my life passing me by. I don't have any memories of social activities that most people do (no childhood sleepovers, prom, college parties, sports games, etc. to speak of), and it worries and saddens me. I am wondering, perhaps from someone older with ADHD, is this common and does it ever change? Or is being alone something I just have to learn to accept?
    Dear autum, here's a little insight from some one who's been where you are. You are not alone, you are afraid to take the steps to make friends for fear of being rejected. Find an activity that you like to do and associate with the people who like to do the same things and build your friendships slowly it worked for me and now I have more friends than I have time for. Ts
    stonewilder Posts: 420, Reputation: 99

Nov 12, 2007, 07:14 PM
    You should read "What does everybody else know that I don't?" by Michele Novotni. It's a great book for understanding ADHD and the social mistakes we make with out knowing it.
    scaredmomvt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2011, 04:21 PM
    Hey, first of all... hang in there. I am a 36yr old Mom with ADHD. I know just what you mean about being worried that you will do something in public/group that is not acceptable. I had this fear for a long time and finally figured something out... if you find really nice people (don't worry about looks, age etc) they won't give a fig if your not always perfect. Good Luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Girlfriend trouble is this normal? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi all, "is my girlfriend bored of our relationship?? and how to tell??? " I have a few issues I'm trying to get through and would like some sound advice. I am in a relationshipnow for 2 yrs and 4 months. I am 27 and my girlfriend is 21. We do not have a lot in common but we get along good...

Rebuilding friendships [ 8 Answers ]

I remember discussing on the forum that "we can lose friends" when we lean on them too much for support. I know I have made this mistake with friends - feeling needy. I feel I am much stronger now, however I am not sure how to rebuild those friendships - as I can sense they are reluctant to...

Ending friendships [ 10 Answers ]

What signs indicate that you want to end a friendship?

Children's friendships [ 2 Answers ]

I have a child who is almost 9. He has had a hard time making friends. I've recently encouraged him to invite friends to play. I got a phone call from another mother at the school who is having the same issues and thought we should encourage our children to play. She asked that my son come...

Friendships going wrong [ 6 Answers ]

Hi.I am a very, caring, loving genuine guy 36. Great personality, sense of humour & I have always found it easy to meet people & become friends as I see the good in everyone & my friends & I have a lot in common. Just recently a female friend & I of 4 years, had an argument due to a lot of stress I...

View more questions Search