Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bigpants2k Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2005, 02:29 AM
    DHCP and more than 1 NIC.
    Hi there,

Here is my problem, I am running Win2k server sp4.
    I connect using a boot disk which pulls down a DHCP address, which works fine.

I want to add more nics to my server, so I can have different people connecting to different nics, so I can get a gig throughput to each of my switches.

But when I add more nics, DHCP won't push addresses down through them, even though I have tried to bind them in the advanced settings.

I have tried splitting my address range into different scopes i.e.:
    192.168.100.10-192.168.100.40, the first range works fine then when I try and add a new range i.e.: 192.168.100.41-192.168.100.100 it says that this range has already being used.(these are all on the same subnet mask)

My router is on 192.168.100.1. and I need everyone to access this.

How would you set up this config?

Thanks guys.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 22, 2005, 04:36 AM
    OK a very odd set up here.

The best course of action is to assign static IP address to your server NIC, then you should be able to Team/Bind more together and use some fault tolerance.

Windows 2000 IP changing
    Teaming

Each NIC then appears to the rest of the network as ONE unit
    IP Address: 192.168.100.x
    Subnet 255.255.255.0
    Gateway 192.168.100.1

WHat box is doing the DHCP function ?
    Have you tried setting the scope up for a larger range, e.g. 192.168.100.10 to 192.168.100.100 ?
    Do you have any static addresses already assigned ?
    Are clients setup for Dynamic DHCP ?

Hope this helps

Nov 22, 2005, 05:13 AM
    Sorry I forgot to mention that all the nics in my server have static addresses.

What I am trying to acheave is this:

I have about 10 guys, who will be downloading ghost images from my server.(This box is my DHCP server and also has attached storage, somewhere about 1TB).
    I have guys in different departments,but all in the same location. So idealy I would like each department to have 1 GB nic, to themselves. This would then be attached to a switch.
    I need DHCP running as this is the way I boot to the server.

If you have any other ideas please feel free to tell me.

Thanks
    BossMan

Nov 22, 2005, 05:33 AM
    I still believe that your best course of action is to team the NIC and use some form of load balancing.
    Something like this would probably be your best bet.
    Quote Originally Posted by HP site
    Transmit Load Balancing (TLB) - balances the transmit traffic among the team members, but does not require any special switch intelligence or switch configuration. In addition, TLB teams can be split across switches as long as all members are in the same layer 2 network. In TLB teams, receive traffic is not load balanced, but is received on a single team member. TLB is a standard feature of ProLiant Teaming.
    Does your server OEM supply any form of Teaming software ?

I personally use this method on all my servers for redundancy and its works great.

Trying to assign different IP's to different NIC's in the same box will cause you a MAJOR headache.

Nov 22, 2005, 05:37 AM
    Im using a DL380 at the moment.

My old setup I used to have 2 x nics teamed.

Im just configuring my new box at the moment.

To be honest I don't need redundancy, I just need as much throughput as possible.
    BossMan

Nov 22, 2005, 05:44 AM
    TLB, as mentioned above, does exactly that.
    I'm running it on my ML370 Db server. 2x 100 Meg NIC get 200 Meg thro' put.

This is all done using the HP Teaming software

Here's what the team looks like:
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

DHCP Renewal Problem [ 20 Answers ]

I am starting with a clean install of Windows XP Professional on an HP Pavilion ZT3000 laptop with both an ethernet connection and wireless. I am on a small business network with a DHCP server that is working normally and with plenty of addresses available. I am not able to get an address on...

DHCP Server problem! [ 8 Answers ]

Hi all the Experts, I have a DCHP Windows 2000 server with 2 NIC... one is connected to the DSL modem, the 2nd one is connected to the HUB. Of course I have a Verizon online DSL with A Dynamic IP address and share it with 3 windows 98 clients via a HUB. My problem is my DHCP server assign an...

DHCP servers [ 2 Answers ]

Why do DHCP servers have static IP addresses

View more questions Search