Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2007, 04:28 PM
    Political correctness.
    Sometimes I really wonder about our society and Political correctness gone mad.

Yesterday in Sydney , Australia one of the major shopping centres were conducting interviews for this years hoard of Santa Claus's. One of the rules for this year is Santa is not allowed to say" Ho Ho Ho" for fear it could be construed as a reference to , well you know. So instead they have to say "Ha Ha Ha"

How silly!!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2007, 04:32 PM
    Yeah PC is insanity for sure!

Here is the LLC PC Christmas card...

Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, my best wishes for an environmentally-conscious, socially-responsible, low-stress, non-addictive, gender-neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasions and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all. .
    AND a fiscally-successful, personally-fulfilling, and medically-uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2008, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make America great, (not to imply that America is necessarily greater than any other country or is the only "America" in the western hemisphere),and without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith, choice of computer platform, or sexual preference of the wishee.
    DISCLAIMER:By accepting this greeting, you are accepting these terms. This greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal. It is freely transferable with no alteration to the original greeting. It implies no promise by the wisher to actually implement any of the wishes for her/himself or others, and is void where prohibited by law, and is revocable at the sole discretion of the wisher. This wish is warranted to perform as expected within the usual application of good tidings for a period of one year, or until the issuance of a subsequent holiday greeting, whichever comes first, and warranty is limited to replacement of this wish or issuance of a new wish at the sole discretion of the wisher.
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2007, 04:33 PM
    LOL :-) Nice one NOhelp
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150

Nov 12, 2007, 04:54 PM
    I like that one too NOhelp! I think the Santa thing is crazy! It's good to try to be tactful and not offend anyone, but I think sometimes we take the whole political correctness thing WAY too far!
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2007, 05:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by peggyhill
    I think the Santa thing is crazy! It's good to try to be tactful and not offend anyone, but I think sometimes we take the whole political correctness thing WAY too far!
    Very true Peggy , I wonder if we can come up with some more examples of PC gone wrong!
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2007, 07:19 PM
    Merry Christmas... Ho Ho Ho!
    That is what it is, so let it be...
    You guys are so right, everything is so mangled now... it breaks my heart, and makes me feel like history was for nohthing! For goodness sakes... why can't we just let it be?
    And now I have to say, sorry if I offended anyone... Really... or I could be kicked in the ribs a few times or something worse...
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2007, 07:22 PM
    It's all right Start you didn' t offend me :-)
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2007, 07:25 PM
    Thanks... just making sure, cause well, you know what I mean...
    Can really get crazy here. We are about to celebrate Thanksgiving, but I think it may be called some other name like Fake Autumn Festival or Fall Gathering or whatever... Thanksgiving is still on the printed calendars, that is a good sign... LOL
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2007, 07:28 PM
    PC is sensorship plain and simple. You can't just come out and say that... let's see, what is a good example? OH! I got it! You can't just come out and say, for example, that Hillary Clinton is a lying, no good bull dyke bent on turning this country into a communist society for the poor and a free enterprise system for only the rich and that the only reason her daughter is so damn ugly is because the real father is Janet Reno. See, you can't say that so don't! That's sensorship plain and simple.
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2007, 07:29 PM
    I just can't picture Santa rolling along on his sleigh bellowing out "Ha ha Ha" LOL :-)
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2007, 07:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by magprob
    PC is sensorship plain and simple. You can't just come out and say that ...let's see, what is a good example? OH! I got it! You can't just come out and say, for example, that Hillary Clinton is a lying, no good bull dyke bent on turning this country into a communist society for the poor and a free enterprise system for only the rich and that the only reason her daughter is so damn ugly is because the real father is Janet Reno. See, you can't say that so don't! That's sensorship plain and simple.
    LOL... no you can't say that :-)
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2007, 07:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by magprob
    PC is sensorship plain and simple. You can't just come out and say that ...let's see, what is a good example? OH! I got it! You can't just come out and say, for example, that Hillary Clinton is a lying, no good bull dyke bent on turning this country into a communist society for the poor and a free enterprise system for only the rich and that the only reason her daughter is so damn ugly is because the real father is Janet Reno. See, you can't say that so don't! That's sensorship plain and simple.
    Oh my goodness Mag... Oh goodness... I think you are right with the meaning... yes I think you are... :o

Friend, I can't see it either... just doesn't do it for me! ;)
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2007, 07:38 PM
    Censorship. I'm sorry, I got a little excited there.
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2007, 07:39 PM
    You do have a good point though Mag
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2007, 07:46 PM
    That's why they have PC. Goods points are usually based in truth. We can't be having that now!
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2007, 07:59 PM
    God forbid the truth!!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2007, 08:03 PM
    ... not to mention ha ha ha can be taken offensively as well... it could mean Santa is laughing AT us N0T WITH us or F0R us!!
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2007, 08:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    ...not to mention ha ha ha can be taken offensively as well....it could mean Santa is laughing AT us N0T WITH us or F0R us!!!
    LMAO... so true... I would be offended for sure... LOL
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2007, 08:05 PM
    Maybe he could say LOL LOL LOL
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2007, 08:06 PM
    LOL... ya no kidding...
    Times are a changin'

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Decent English vs. Political Correctness [ 6 Answers ]

Today I heard the term "waitperson" used for someone who waits tables. I'm getting used to some of the Political Correct gender neutral terms, but this one sounded odd to me. If we nix waiter and waitress, shouldn't we nix actor and actress too? But then what? Actperson? I'm curious; Does...

Ignorant Anthropologists? Or Political Correctness? [ 15 Answers ]

I have great respect for the science of anthropology but recently I came across two representations which made me question both motives and the qualifications of those anthropologists who were involved. First, there was a documentary concerning the Taino Indians of the Caribbean. I began watching...

Is political correctness what it used to be? [ 5 Answers ]

Have we outgrown political correctness, or is it still with us? I get confusing readings from the media on this one. I remember that once upon a time, political correctness was being promoted because many people believe that removing hate speech from public dialogues woud keep the hate from...

Political limericks [ 9 Answers ]

Join in if you can do one better. All for Poo and giggles... This was written by imo at japantoday forum at limericks R us. There once was a president named bush Who flew by the seat of his tush About his vision, when queried He said, I have a great theory

Political correctness [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am curious as to why in this day and age when every word uttered publicly must be politically correct, (e.g. mailperson as opposed to mailman, and firefighter vis-à-vis fireman) first year college students are still called freshmen, as opposed to freshstudents, or freshpeople. Mark

View more questions Search