Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    galileo235 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2007, 03:21 PM
    How do I accept that this is over?
    Hi, I'm new here, and trying to get through this utterly desperate period after my breakup. My ex and I have been together for 6 1/2 years, with a break early on in the relationship for about a year. We've pretty much grown up together, dating long distance in college and then after. We're long distance now, but we're set to move in together next summer. There's been rocky times and he's figuring out where he wants to go to grad school right while I finish up mine. We've talked about getting engaged, and he said he wanted to get engaged in the next year, then he said he wanted to move in and he wasn't ready to get engaged yet. I'm currently far away working in a high stress situation with no support network where I am, and I think I became needy and was pushing him inadvertently. We were having a conversation about next year and I pushed him and we ended up breaking up. He said he loved me so much, but he didn't know if he wanted to marry me and he felt like after 6 years he should know. Things were rough at times, making it work, but I love him and I know he loves me. We talked and at first I tried to be strong, but then I broke down and I told him I thought this was the wrong decision and that we could make it work. He said he didn't know how we could. But then he called and text message "I love you". I really don't think it is an issue of love, part of me thinks it is him freaking out. But I told him I don't think we should talk for a while if this is what he really wants. I'm heading home for thanksgiving in a week, we said we would see each other there. It's been two weeks since I last talked to him on the phone and we told each other how much we love each other. Can I fix this? I love him. Truly I do. I regret the times I didn't appreciate how special our relationship was. Everyone says I need to move on, and I know I can, I do know I will be OK. But I want another chance to do things right. We were so close. What do I say when I see him over Thanksgiving? Do I pretend like I'm OK, do I tell him again that this doesn't feel right... do I not see him? Insight is much appreciated. For lack of a poetic way of putting it... this really sucks... hurts so much.
    madaman Posts: 212, Reputation: 25

Nov 12, 2007, 03:37 PM
    Well after 6.5 years, it may be worth talking it out in person. The part about 'after 6 years he should know if he wants to marry you' really stood out to me. If he really feels that way, then I don't know what you could change. If you push him for any answers you will get the exact opposite ones you want, guaranteed. I mean you should be prepared for the worst, but personally I would be willing to endure a bit more pain to get some closure (thats just the way I am and have been with past relationships).

How old are both of you? And was there other relationships before hand?
    galileo235 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2007, 08:38 AM
    We're both 26. Dated other people. But not seriously.
    jolienoire Posts: 917, Reputation: 166

Nov 13, 2007, 08:59 AM
    Well... I can relate to what you are feeling.. I think he needs his time.. You can't convince someone to be with you. If someone wants you nothing can't keep them away. If they don't want you nothing can make them stay.. not saying he doesn't want you. He just needs time to miss you.. You can't make someone be with you Or make them see what they lost they have to figure this out on their own without the influence or pressure from you. As this will drive them in the opposite direction. If you love him as you say you do then you will respect his decision and vic versa he should respect the fact that you want what you want. It is so hard when you put in that much time and effort.. But even if you give all you have he has to be willing to give just as much.. Otherwise the relationship will be unbalanced.. I know you want to see him but will this help or hurt you even more to see him?? That's what you need to ask yourself.. Do you think if you spend time with him you can work it out? Be prepared if you do see him.. Not all times we get the answers we are looking for... But go with your heart..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Girlfriend wants a break.how to accept it? [ 538 Answers ]

Me and my girlfriend have been dating for a little over 4 years now. We met when we were 18 we're now 22 yrs old. We have seen each other a lot over the course of our relationship at least 4-5 days a week and did everything together. Everything was fine but lately she has been saying that she feels...

Should I accept money not that's not mine? [ 14 Answers ]

Hi, I don't know if I am in big trouble with US LAW or not. Last year in May, My chat friend said she chatted with this new person and he said he needs help wiring the millions of dollars his Egypt bank found after a famous CANADIAN couple died in AFRICA 3 years ago, or else the bank would take...

Will her family accept me? [ 18 Answers ]

Hi, My girlfriend is Catholic and I'm a non-believer (I don't like the term atheist). We've accepted that we each have different world views (for now), and can live with that. However, she's concerned that her family won't accpet me if they know I don't believe in God. I was born into a...

Will they ever accept me? [ 6 Answers ]

This isn't to do with adult sexuality but I couldn't find a place to post this so I'm sorry. I am a pre-op transsexual - female to male (ftm). I have always been more of a boy from a baby and have hated my body and girly things. I've always been more attracted to boys clothes, toys etc and the 1st...

I don't know how to accept his sexuality. [ 8 Answers ]

I've been with my boyfriend for over a year now, and just recently he opened up to me about his sexual past. He told me early on he had one boyfriend before me, but he told me that was a one-off at a party that carried on and they did nothing sexual. He admitted he lied and told me that he had 2...

View more questions Search